The tyre size maze

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikey567

I need basic advice on selecting a matching tyre size.
My mountain bike has 26 inch wheels. Both font and rear tyres have cracks, so I want to get like for like tyres to replace them.
Front is 26 x 190/200 [50-559]
Back is 26 x 190/200 [50-559]
Will a 26 x 1.95 inch tyre be OK, such as this:
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-cycle-tyre-26-x-195-inch/p/0128526

It's a bit confusing. Is the phrase "26 x 190/200" a mixture of inches and centimetres?

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's a bit confusing. Is the phrase "26 x 190/200" a mixture of inches and centimetres?
Maybe inches missing the decimal point?

In general, look for the 50-559. All other forms of size markings are prone to severe quirks, especially inches where 26" x 1.5" is very different to 26" x 1 1/2"

Chris S

Legendary Member
Front is 26 x 190/200 [50-550]
Is this a typo? I've never come across a 550mm rim before and I can't find anything about it on the web.
If it is then a 26 x 1.95 inch tyre will be fine. 1.95 inches is 50mm, which is what you've got on already.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Its a mountain bike, why would the OP put a commuting /touring tyre on a MTB. yes it is a cheap tyre but probably replacing a cheap tyre which has suited they use of the bike to date.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just sayin' :smile:

Should have said any Schwalbe.

OP
OP
mikey567

mikey567

Anyway, just popped into Wilkos and they only have a couple of tyres left on the shelf.
Probably waiting for a container ship to get into Felixstowe. More shortages...

If you use the bike as an everyday utility/commuter bike then the basic Marathons are good.
If you use it for off road recreation then mtb knobbly tyres are the type to fit.

OP
OP
mikey567

mikey567

The tyres I have seen in Wikos have the ISO codes stamped on them. So they should be a decent fit.
I won't be doing a high mileage or extreme off-roading, so don't see the point of buying expensive tyres.

Last edited:
Top Bottom