The ultimate tour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brock

BBC breakfast just had him in the studio for an interview, seemed like a jolly decent fellow and a great advert for cycling. Interesting that his worse experiences were in America and the best in Iran.

Tony

Indeed, he seemed so ordinary, and I mean that as a compliment.

strofiwimple

Veteran
Im with nobby on this one, dont get me wrong- it is a truly fantatastic achievement but has very little to do with touring, i hardly think he had time to stop and admire the scenery and enjoy a chat with the locals which to me is the essence of touring.

My first ever ride of more than one day was the sustrans coast to coast which i did in a leisurely 3 days which got me hooked on touring, one of my mates who did it in one day admitted afterwards that he could have acheived the same effect on a static as he saw very little but the road in front of him.

Im not trying to belittle his feat but touring ??

nobby

Über Member
Exactly, strofiwimple.

The OED refers to a journey for pleasure. Wonderful feat, but not a tour.

nobby

Über Member
As I said, Brock, it isn't my definition it's from the OED.

Call it as you will, but tour it isn't. It was a wonderfully successful record attempt.

Brock

So the OED claims you have to bum around rustic hamlets chatting up the local totty as they stroll past your café table while the waiter brings yet another plate of cheese before you mince off to take pictures of churches for it to be a bona fide 'tour' does it?
What exactly is the OED's full definition of 'tour' then?
How come the Tour de France have got things so wrong too? Oh wait, that's french ennit :angry:

He had panniers and a tent, and visited many places. THAT's the proper definition of tour.

P.H

Über Member
nobby said:
The OED refers to a journey for pleasure.

Reading his blog, it's hard not to conclude that this adventure gave him immense pleasure. And who's capable of defining others pleasures?

nobby

Über Member
P.H said:
And who's capable of defining others pleasures?

Psychoanalysists.

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Brock said:
195 days actually, 276 was the previous record.. Good effort!

Opps my mistake:blush:

nobby said:
Exactly, strofiwimple.

The OED refers to a journey for pleasure. Wonderful feat, but not a tour.

How do you know that he didn't take pleasure in it? If it was not a tour, what was it when?

nobby

Über Member
Hairy Jock said:
Opps my mistake:blush:

How do you know that he didn't take pleasure in it? If it was not a tour, what was it when?

Where did I even suggest that he didn't take pleasure in it let alone say I knew that he didn't?
Of course he took pleasure in it, but it was not a journey for pleasure it was a record attempt; as already answered. Taking pleasure in something and making a journey for pleasure are not the same thing.
He made the journey to become the best at something and he did it. Marvellous achievment, but not a tour as defined by the OED.
Someone mentioned that their definition of a tour was broader. Definitions are narrow by default otherwise they do not define.

Brock

I completely understand and accept that it's not your idea of a bicycle tour nobby, but we seem to be discussing the exact definition in your OED now, so could you please post that full entry so we can see for ourselves that the journey in question doesn't satisfy any of the definitions.
We'll accept for now that the OED is the be all and end all of the English language, because the Cambridge definition could certainly include this particular adventure.

nobby

Über Member
Brock said:
but we seem to be discussing the exact definition in your OED now, ..........

so could you please post that full entry .......

We'll accept for now that the OED is the be all and end all of the English language,..... .

You seem to be intent on personalising this. It is not my OED Brock, but the OED. It doesn't come in different versions to suit peoples varying English language skills. There is nothing to discuss here.
NTW

Brock

So you're not going to share the OED's definition with us?
I'm not trying to personalise anything, I'm just interested.

Top Bottom