The ultimate touring bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Always uncertain about disc brakes. They have massive advantages over rim But if you ping them you end up with a locked wheel. Something I didn't appreciate.

Ping? As in bend?
Same thing happens if you pringle a rim. The rim can be straightened by forcibly bending and fine tuning with a spoke key and a bent disc is easy to straighten by stamping on it on a flat surface and fine tuning with an adjustable spanner.
The difference being that if a rim is pringled to the point that rebending it is a dangerous risk its finished. A bent disc still enables the wheel to turn...albeit without brakes.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's all very well saying that the hub won't fail - what if the wheel fails?

I had a rear rim fail on tour far away from any shops and was quickly able to source another wheel off a dumped/old bike for £20. I was soon back on the road, and with a good selection of gears at that.

I wonder how many doors I'd have to knock on before someone answered who had a spare Rohloff wheel they were willing to let go?
If you can't wait for a wheelbuilder, I think most hub gear wheels will fit, as Rohloff use the popular 135mm OLN, like Shimano and some SA.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This thread may as well continue its meander away from my OP...

@HobbesOnTour mentioned a book by former member Stephen Peel who, to put it neutrally, had some problems with his expensive Koga tourer.

The book is now on Amazon - link below.

But please, no more posts about sodding dynamo bearings.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/highly-unlikely-bicycle-tourist-working-class-ebook/dp/B08F2RVNP3/ref=sr_1_1?crid=34V1QGAAXJCW7&dchild=1&keywords=stephen+peel&qid=1602132052&s=digital-text&sprefix=stephen+pee%2Cdigital-text%2C214&sr=1-1

This thread may as well continue its meander away from my OP...

@HobbesOnTour mentioned a book by former member Stephen Peel who, to put it neutrally, had some problems with his expensive Koga tourer.

The book is now on Amazon - link below.

But please, no more posts about sodding dynamo bearings.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/highly-unlikely-bicycle-tourist-working-class-ebook/dp/B08F2RVNP3/ref=sr_1_1?crid=34V1QGAAXJCW7&dchild=1&keywords=stephen+peel&qid=1602132052&s=digital-text&sprefix=stephen+pee%2Cdigital-text%2C214&sr=1-1

Have you read it?
Dare i ask if there's any mention of bearings?
I assume belt drives get a mention?

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Have you read it?

No.

I quite enjoy some of the bike adventure posts on here, but wouldn't want to plough through a book.

One of the reviewers of the book was disappointed because Peel was touring with plenty of money - 'flying home at the drop of a hat'.

Unfair criticism in my view.

Having access to sufficient funds is all part of being self supporting.

It might be different if he was being followed by mechanics, a team car, and a motorhome.

Mod Note:

Hi there Mike!
Please don't do that, please use the quote function to quote someone's post.
This is the standard forum etiquette, cheers!
I've fixed your previous replies.
Noted.
I did use the quote function but I put my reply within the quote.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Got to ask pale rider, since you brought it up again.
Do you never check/service your wheel bearings (dynamo or not)?

Check - occasionally, service - never.

I tend to buy quality kit, and don't do enough miles to wear out bearings.

My main ebike has a Rohloff at the back, so no worries there.

The front is a sus fork through axle, not sure of the bearing make.

If that ever wears out it will be a bike shop job.

As a general point, the bike is a Riese and Muller, which does seem to be built with longevity, rather than low weight, in mind.

My caravan bike has 20" wheels with derailer gears and a rigid fork.

That's done a few thousand miles with no sign of wear, and probably only does a few hundred a year.

In this thread we were talking about dynohub bearings.

Do they ever wear out?

I had a Shimano dynohub which did 5,000 miles before I sold the bike.

No wear on that when I last checked, so I can't see it failing anytime soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom