The Ultimate Touring Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcogs

Guru
i'm weighing in with Andy on the Rohloff front.

i've had one for about five years, and it has been problem free. when i had derailers i was never away from the lbs giving em loads o dosh for this or that replacement part or adjustment.

As for the bike, it has to be what i'm already running, a Thorn sports tour. Mine has hydraulics fitted (Magura HS11? rim brakes), and they too have been entirely problem free for five years. The pads have been replaced ( a two minute click fit job), but nothing else. Even adjustment, which is almost never required, is a doddle. Forget all that arsing about with cable and 'third hand' tools - get maguras.

Now the confessional bit. i've never done a tour! i cycle for fitness and health and pleasure, about 10 miles each day.

But..

This year, now my son Dan is 8, i want to get out with him , with a tent, and give it a go. Obviously for an eight year old, and one just about fifty years his senior, we will not be setting records for distance or time, but my word, are we getting excited!

i'll be hanging around in here for decent advice on equipment requirements etc if that's ok?

redcogs said:
i'm weighing in with Andy on the Rohloff front.

i've had one for about five years, and it has been problem free. when i had derailers i was never away from the lbs giving em loads o dosh for this or that replacement part or adjustment.

As for the bike, it has to be what i'm already running, a Thorn sports tour. Mine has hydraulics fitted (Magura HS11? rim brakes), and they too have been entirely problem free for five years. The pads have been replaced ( a two minute click fit job), but nothing else. Even adjustment, which is almost never required, is a doddle. Forget all that arsing about with cable and 'third hand' tools - get maguras.

Now the confessional bit. i've never done a tour! i cycle for fitness and health and pleasure, about 10 miles each day.

But..

This year, now my son Dan is 8, i want to get out with him , with a tent, and give it a go. Obviously for an eight year old, and one just about fifty years his senior, we will not be setting records for distance or time, but my word, are we getting excited!

i'll be hanging around in here for decent advice on equipment requirements etc if that's ok?

How lovely to be touring with your son...touring is probably one lifes finest pleasures...and when you're touring all is well with the world :wacko:

jags

Guru
my thorn sherpa with shimano xt gear tubus rack's sun rhyno wheel's,drop handle bar's ,paul's canti and tiagra sti leavers ,will do for me .

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I wouldn't swap my Thorn XTC for all the tea in China! She's definitely my ultimate touring bike.

But ask me again in September once I've dragged her across Europe and see if she's still in favour...mwaa ha ha

Tony

Kirstie said:
How lovely to be touring with your son...touring is probably one lifes finest pleasures...and when you're touring all is well with the world :wacko:
Indeed, and let us know where!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Rhythm Thief said:
The one I've got, pretty much. Old Dawes Galaxy. Canti brakes, derailleur gears. Anna Brooks. Good enough for anything I'm ever likely to do on it, and a good deal more.

I've got a similarly specced 21 speed Galaxy and Ive completed 50+ audaxes on it as well as three major tours and many weekend tours. Done some green laning with it too.

Top Bottom