The Ultimate Touring Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
This thread is inspired by the title of the thread about the bloke who's just done his world tour.

My nomination: A Rohloff equipped Street Machine with hydraulic disc brakes. The Rohloff because it's "fit and forget" and the Street Machine because the comfort of a recumbent makes touring, in my experience, far more pleasurable than the same thing on an upright.

I'm prepared to except that a trike like a Scorpion might be even better but having only had a five minute tryout on one, I can't comment on it for touring.

No idea about rohloff hubs apart from the fact that they're not that reliable in the wet? I only know that from an mtb context though but it's enough to put me off. And with brakes, i'd want something I could find parts for easily, could be welded back together if they broke, and could be fixed with an allan key or small spanner at the side of the road. So not hydraulics then...

So I think mine would be custom made steel, with lots of lightweight stuff on and with simple moving parts which could be easily fixed in the back of beyond.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I've never heard that of a Rohloff hub before and I've never had a hint of a problem with mine whatever the weather. I can only think that maybe, just maybe the twist grip changer might become a bit slippy if wet but certainly AFAIK it is basically impossible for wet to have an effect on the hub itself. In fact I would have thought they would be ideal for MTB as unlike a derailleur system, there is nothing to get bashed, plus wheels are stronger as there is no requirement for dishing.

I was initially wary of hydraulic brakes and then came to realise that as it is unlikely that I will ever tour outside Europe and as mine have functioned perfectly for five years now, it is OK to have confidence in them.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I'm very surprised at the idea that water got in as the hubs are over engineered to the point that they seem as solid as Gibraltar. I could accept that mud could clog up the mechanism at the point where the cables meet the hub. It's not that I doubt you but this is the first ever time I've heard the sealing brought into question (except for one case described on here recently where a world tourist was reported as losing oil).

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
There's someone on ACF whose Rohloff hub has just deposited a puddle of oil on the floor while parked overnight. She was recommended by another forumite to send it back to Germany as the manufacturer had cured theirs in under a week when the same thing happened.

I wonder how long they can keep claiming there have never been any problems with their product?

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I think they've claimed from the word go that there has never been a mechanical failure. It would be interesting to know what percentage of the hubs have problems. I got my first one when they first came out and I've had my 'bent about five years and never a hint of a problem with either hub.

Tony

Kirstie said:
No idea about rohloff hubs apart from the fact that they're not that reliable in the wet? I only know that from an mtb context though but it's enough to put me off. And with brakes, i'd want something I could find parts for easily, could be welded back together if they broke, and could be fixed with an allan key or small spanner at the side of the road. So not hydraulics then...

So I think mine would be custom made steel, with lots of lightweight stuff on and with simple moving parts which could be easily fixed in the back of beyond.

Indeed. Anna Brooks...

Top Bottom