The worst ever stories you've ever heard about your family

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Excellent photo and story

Thank you. :blush:

I only found this out after dad died and I was going through grandad's papers, which dad never touched.

I have an ancestor who was co-founder of a very active and forward-thinking branch of the Methodist Church, in which women were welcome to preach, lead services etc - all this in the early 19th century. I am proud of the tradition of 'strong women', and their encouragement, in that branch of the family. I think the men had to be exceptionally strong too, in order to not merely 'allow' it but to encourage it. So not a bad story, but a bit unusual - and I'm an atheist like my parents before me, so my ancestor didn't leave any sort of lasting heritage in his own family!

Last edited:
Mother was a stewardess on the Atlantic liners before the war, she met and married a fairly rich business man, quite a few years older than her. He died in suspicious circumstances towards the end of the forties, and there being no will, mother got the lot, tens of thousands, when a house could be bought for hundreds. She blew the lot on travel, fast cars and boats.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
I have the reverse experience. I remember tutting and thinking 'what a moron' when labour mp fiona onasanya was done for trying to dodge a speeding ticket. she lost her seat and did some time I think.

turns out that she's related by marriage to my dad's brother. he died last year and the funeral was on zoom. onasanya was on the call, but not on video; just an image of a book she'd written about her 'experience'…

I have the reverse experience. I remember tutting and thinking 'what a moron' when labour mp fiona onasanya was done for trying to dodge a speeding ticket. she lost her seat and did some time I think.

turns out that she's related by marriage to my dad's brother. he died last year and the funeral was on zoom. onasanya was on the call, but not on video; just an image of a book she'd written about her 'experience'…
cripes - I didn't know you could sell advertising rights at funerals.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
We discovered whilst looking at my Mum's side family tree, that a couple of generations back from my grandmother (who was still alive at the time we were researching (born 1912 - died 2018 as an aside) that one of the ancestors had fathered in his 60's or 70's. I think the original wife had died quite young and he'd subsequently married his "housekeeper" who was 30-40 years his junior! Gran Nelly verified it all, as we initially thought the dates in the parish records were out"

Top Bottom