The worst ever stories you've ever heard about your family

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not much on what he was like as company, I'm afraid. Given that both men ended up in politics at a high level, there must've been some serious common ground between them.

Holiday was in Zakopane in 1913. I do have a photo somewhere.
this you have to post please.
Meant to get to zakopane in my communist Poland wanderings but paperwork hassles intervened.

Last edited:
Meant to grt to zakopane in my communist Poland wanderings but paperwork hassles intervened.

My scanner is fubared, but I'll see what i can do. :okay:

Meant to get to zakopane in my communist Poland wanderings but paperwork hassles intervened.

Here you go. Grandfather Arthur second from left in the front row (the laid-back chap in the dark fur trapper hat), Lenin (with the astrakhan hat) and his wife Nadezdha far left and second from left respectively in the back row.

NR1F7121_small.jpg

Looks like my family did not tell me anything or shielded me. So my parents’ neighbour has to cough up with a story.

When I was really young, a young lad began living with our neighbours. He was quiet and our neighbours took great pains to keep him indoors. He did not go to school either. I recall my parents talking in hush tones and the suggestion of an illegitimate child etc. This went on for months and then he disappeared.

It turns out that his father was a senior public servant and I think with the land office, got charged for corruption and it was massive for that time. It been decades and cannot find any details on the web due to scant information I have. His family sent him away when the father was charged. Went to prison. I only recall my mum showing me the front page headline with the pic of the father.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Nothing scurrilous, but one little memory of minor family larks in bygone years always tickled me.

My great Uncle always had a picture of himself in his house throughout my childhood, a black and white studio portrait photo of him in his royal navy uniform circa 1944. What struck me was that he had his hat at a ridiculously jaunty angle and also had this faraway, wicked leer on his face.

"Where was that taken?" I once asked him when I was old enough to be interested.
"Oh I think it was the Far East... Singapore or somewhere, although if I'm honest I have no real clue" he said,
"I was absolutely blind drunk at the time. Pie eyed. That turned up at my Mums, apparently months later, and it was the first I knew about having my picture taken... must have been in some port side photography studio, clearly not far from a bar. She was livid as she could see I was drunk".

That always made me laugh, the image of German battleships having shells lobbed at them by a boat load of absolutely sh1tfaced Mancunians. :laugh:

"Where was that taken?" I once asked him when I was old enough to be interested.
"Oh I think it was the Far East... Singapore or somewhere, although if I'm honest I have no real clue" he said,

That always made me laugh, the image of German battleships having shells lobbed at them by a boat load of absolutely sh1tfaced Mancunians. :laugh:
I don;t want to be pedantic (Ok maybe I do)
but if he was in Singapore and started lobbing shells at a German Battleship then I think the person who was REALLY sh1tfaced was the navigator on the German Battleship!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I know that a couple of my cousins went to prison in Ireland, many years ago. But I was never much in contact with that side of the family, so I've no idea what became of them.

PaulB

Legendary Member
My uncle had just finished his apprenticeship as an electrician and as a qualified spark, he was taken on by the company who'd sponsored him while doing it. It was his first night shift on his own and he was called out to a pub on Scotland Road, L'pool coming up to midnight. The light fitting over the stairwell had been pulled out and he could see it had suffered some abuse in the past. Determined this wouldn't happen again, as well as sorting out the electrics before putting the power back on, he fixed the ceiling holding the light fitting with plaster and made it look presentable as well as secure. Job done so he was very happy.

He went back to the office and spent an uneventful rest of the night before going home at 6am feeling happy his first day had gone so well.

The following week he was back on days and on entering the office on Monday morning, he was met with some frowning colleagues and asked to go and see the manager. With some trepidation, he went in to see him wondering what it was he'd done so badly.

"Did you fix the light fitting in the ...... pub on Scotty Road?" "Yes I did and I think I did a good job securing it too." he responded. "You bloody idiot, the pub manager's hanged himself only this time, it worked and he's dead!"

A tacit agreement amongst his colleagues was to just repair the wiring when they were called out to this pub and leave the light cable loose as the pub manager would get drunk while serving on a Saturday night, get morose and threaten to hang himself which he often did only for the light fitting to collapse unable to bear his weight. They all knew this was a regular thing so played along with him and his 'suicide' act and he'd come to, full of remorse and promising not to do it again but everyone was in on this and their agreement made sure he stayed undead. Well, nobody had bothered to tell the new lad and let him in on their agreement! This always bothered him no matter how much you reassured him and told, "It wasn't your fault." which of course it wasn't and the firm kept him on anyway where he stayed for over 20 years.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Oh another one but it's not my direct family.

When we heard of the death of Shane Warne, my grandkids other grandfather (so my son Liam's father-in-law) produced some of his scoring records and there it is in black and white, while batting for his team, Rossendale, he'd been bowled out for 25 by a certain Shane Warne who was Accrington's pro that summer!

Slightly distant bit of the family (can't remember exact relationship and am always bad on these things) - family member the aggrieved party. Went off to war (WW2) - returned home (not sure if leave or end of war) to his wife and small village and on walking in found another bloke sitting in his armchair. And wearing his suit.
My grandad reckoned the wife's elevation to May Queen/Cotton Queen some time before had gone to her head.
Divorce followed.

Lozz360

Veteran
I don;t want to be pedantic (Ok maybe I do)
but if he was in Singapore and started lobbing shells at a German Battleship then I think the person who was REALLY sh1tfaced was the navigator on the German Battleship!
As a fellow pedantic, it may also be worth pointing out that if this did happen in Singapore in 1944, then Britain had surrendered Singapore to the Japanese two years previously.

Top Bottom