The wrong charger (too many amps) - what will happen?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Mrs K's tiny Citroen has a flat battery, so I've dug out the jump start battery-pack thing but it too is low on charge. I can't find it's proper charger, despite my owning a box of tangled cables that seems to be the preserve of the middle-aged-man. I have, however, found a charger with the correct plug, the correct polarity and the correct voltage, but it produces too much current - the booster battery says the input should be 12v / 1.5A and the charger I've turned up is 12v / 2.5A

What are the implications of using this charger, if any?

Ta?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
This is not advice, but I'd just plug it in and keep an eye on it.

The rule of thumb for modern batteries is 50%. E.g. if the battery in your jump starter is 5Ah then you should not exceed 2.5Ah when charging. What sort of battery pack is it? Can you tell what Ah the battery is?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Or can you jump start the car off another car? Might be quicker and easier...assuming it's just gone flat due to inactivity and that there are no other issues with either the battery or charging system

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Or can you jump start the car off another car? Might be quicker and easier...assuming it's just gone flat due to inactivity and that there are no other issues with either the battery or charging system
It's the OH's car - she's taken mine, and it has the jump leads in :-) I think the battery is shot though; the car has been sat for a while so once I started it (the booster thing was fine on the wrong charger) I took it for a drive to fully charge and I'll give it a try tomorrow afternoon and see if it starts.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Don't condemn any battery without giving it a sustained period of low rate charging or you might be throwing away both a good battery and your cash.
I was given a large and expensive AGM battery by someone at work, and was told it was duff. At the time, the battery on my Land Rover was about 11 years old and getting past it's best. Having nothing to lose apart from a couple of hundred quid if I bought a new tractor-sized battery for nothing, I decided to see if the AGM was really duff or not. I charged it at a very low rate using an old school charger with an analogue ammeter - for the best part of a week, before fitting and testing it. Far from being duff at all, the AGM battery was easily as strong as the 11 year old battery had been when that was new and it's holding it's charge for weeks and will still spin the engine like a good'un.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
This is a fairly small battery as it’s only a C1 but pleased to say it has been fine since.

Top Bottom