The Yello Peril

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, my mother hasn't hijacked my account to perform casual racism, this is my new rescue puppy, which we think started life as a Raleigh Triathlon in 1987. When my friend and I acquired this and another bike from a contact over a year ago, they were both in fairly bad condition. I've finally repurposed this to be my winter ride, and the ride is sweet.
The frame is exactly as I found it - straight but v.tatty: it's had a rubbish overspray at some point in an even nastier yellow than the original, plus a rubbish "raleigh" decal attached, and then left in someone's garden to moulder and gently rust.
Drive train has been [sympathetically, I'd like to think] brought up to date with a claris 8 speed transplant, including brake shifters (I still struggle with dt shifters - there's a reason why "brifters", I hate that word too have become the standard), and a new silver compact chainset [sunrace?].
Finished off by a natty modern pair of wheels that I exchanged for a coouple of boxes of Peroni!
full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

I'd like to think it has a certain "rat" charm to it, and I'll be tackling the surface rust bit by bit now it's mobile.
Probably due to the lack of any apparent substance in the wheels it weighs in at just 10.7kg despite the B17 saddle!

alicat

Legendary Member
It's very yellow. Slightly hard to say SMIDSY than modern bikes.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Very nice and errr yellow

davidphilips

Veteran
Nice one mikey steel bikes are the best, would you consider fitting dual pivot calipers? If so i have a set dont know the make and they are black you would be welcome to, may should improve braking?

OP
OP
mikeymustard
Nice one mikey steel bikes are the best, would you consider fitting dual pivot calipers? If so i have a set dont know the make and they are black you would be welcome to, may should improve braking?
Thanks David, I did consider putting some dual pivot RX100s on but I'd need to drill the bridge and fork to take the recessed nut, so for now I've decided to keep the originals. Besides, these are the marvellous [and famous]105 SLR, I've fitted some decent pads and they actually work really well! (Though black would go quite nicely :smile:)

Top Bottom