Theoretical Groupset Question

Which Groupset?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I run 105 on my road bike which does everything from century rides to 365 day commuting. Now 105 is fairly reasonably priced but then I look at Dura-Ace and SRAM Red and drool. If you could get a bike with Red or DA on it would you or would you think "I'll have to replace bits on it and it would cost more to run" or "Sod it, I'll replace bits with 105/Apex when I have to but enjoy it for now"

Nebulous

Guru
I'm running Tiagra 9 speed at the moment, but I'd approach it entirely the other way round. If I bought something better - possibly next bike will be Ultegra - I'd always replace like for like. As it stands I'm more likely to replace up - as things wear out I would replace with 105, although I have a spare Tiagra rear mech that I picked up very cheaply in the cupboard.

VamP

Banned
You should try it and decide based on your experience whether it's worth the extra.

Personally DA or Red to me is mainly about bling and weight. Campagnolo groupsets are different, and I would dearly love to upgrade to one of the yummy 11 speed ones at some point.

My race bike has Ultegra on it, as that is a good compromise between light weight and affordability. On a race bike you replace mechs a lot more often, especially the rear mech.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I would stick to 105. It's affordable to replace and very reliable.
Knowing you and your riding with just the 1 bike doing commuting and long rides in all weathers I think it makes econimcal sense to stick to 105.

Then get another bike with upgraded components...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Is there anyone else who's disappointed we're not talking about Lie algebras, the Monster, or normal subgroups?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm running Tiagra 9 speed at the moment, but I'd approach it entirely the other way round. If I bought something better - possibly next bike will be Ultegra - I'd always replace like for like. As it stands I'm more likely to replace up - as things wear out I would replace with 105, although I have a spare Tiagra rear mech that I picked up very cheaply in the cupboard.

That's kind of what I meant. Would you buy a new bike with higher components knowing that you'd have to pay more to replace them or as Ian says stick with what is good and reliable for cost effectiveness.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I would stick to 105. It's affordable to replace and very reliable.
Knowing you and your riding with just the 1 bike doing commuting and long rides in all weathers I think it makes econimcal sense to stick to 105.

Then get another bike with upgraded components...

Oh if only I could afford a new bike.... but then I'd probably just retire the current one and maintain a one bike strategy.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
It's all in the wheels mate, get a set of light strong wheels just for playing not commuting, although you don't need help getting up hills Martin you'll be surprised how much energy you save.

You'll always lust after a better groupset (yes it's bloody good, light slick smoove,fast DI2) but if you're not having problems with 105, the wheels always the wheels

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I would mix the group set. Things like derailures and shifters last a long time compared to the chain and cassette. Run the chain and cassette at 105 and the rest a high group set, best of both worlds.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Hmmm....I think Gaz has the right idea there. If you want the high-end group, you can still run lower-end chain and cassette and keep the running costs down. I have two bikes with nine speed Ultegra, one with Veloce and one with Athena. It all works well, though in terms of shift quality etc the Athena is definitely ahead of the Veloce- harder to compare across the marques, the Campag shifting 'clunk' is not to all tastes and though I'm used to it, using the brake lever as a shifter on the Shimano setup still strikes me as weird. Ultegra ahead of Veloce, though. I went with Athena for the Viner as I liked the Campag feel, the advantages of 11 speed seemed worth it to me, and all the reviews basically said it was clearly the best bang for the buck in their range. All the talk of 11-speed being higher maintenance and needing more fettling etc has not been my experience- it's been no trouble whatsoever for me in 4k + miles.....

Assuming you're thinking of whatever new road bike you buy in the end: Athena, Ultegra or Rival unless you get a killer deal on a higher spec group.

amaferanga

Veteran
I wouldn't buy SRAM Red or Dura Ace to use year round - unless you like cleaning your bike thoroughly after EVERY ride in the winter.

My best bike is almost complete SRAM Red. Only the cassette and chain are something else (Ultegra and SRAM 1030 respectively). It is superb - works incredibly well and looks great, but it does make me wince a bit when I see the prices of even just a replacement Red derailleur. I think that I'd probably replace any broken or worn out bits with SRAM Force unless I'm feeling particularly flush since it works very nearly as well and is very nearly as light.

The SRAM Red came with my bike and it was a great deal (Planet X). I think if I was buying a groupset though I'd buy either Force or Ultegra since they are so close to the top end groupsets in every way, just a bit cheaper.

But if it was for a bike I planned to ride year round I'd definitely stick with 105 or Rival - both very good groupsets in their own right, just without the bling factor.

Milo

Guru
Its like the number of blades on modern razors when will it end!
Incidently a one blade safety razor with proper soap and a brush are still superior but that's another topic.

Top Bottom