There are Lies, damned lies....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
I heard this on radio 4 - the bride and groom sounded absolutely great, they'd made an attempt at solving a planning nightmare using their statistical knowhow and realised that the variability of people meant that getting a perfect model was very hard - ie some people will think they've replied and turn up even when they hadn't. I enjoyed it as a radio story - applying maths and method to a real-life problem - and my impression from the way they were coming over is that they'll be very happy.

Lullabelle

Banana
When we were in ST Lucia we were sat at a meal table with a retired couple and 2 newlywed couples. The 2 new brides were trying to outdo each other with how many guests they had at their wedding and how much per head, it was hilarious to watch them spar they were so serious about the whole thing. Ok they deserve to have the wedding our their dreams/choice but to try and compete with a stranger was just so funny :laugh:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
When we were in ST Lucia we were sat at a meal table with a retired couple and 2 newlywed couples. The 2 new brides were trying to outdo each other with how many guests they had at their wedding and how much per head, it was hilarious to watch them spar they were so serious about the whole thing. Ok they deserve to have the wedding our their dreams/choice but to try and compete with a stranger was just so funny :laugh:

I overheard something similar when we were in Blackpool. Do I win?

Sara_H

Guru
It's possible that they just act surprised to be polite, of course, but the OP would indicate that this isn't necessarily the case...
A couple I know decided to get married in Italy, but decided that children wouldn't be allowed at the wedding. Then got really pissed off when people said they couldn't come as they wouldn't have anyone to babysit when they're hundreds of miles away in a foreign country.

One of the worst and nicest thing about ours was that we were told on the Friday that the pub doing the bar had had "issues" and would be unable to provide the bar!

Friends rallied round, talked to a local off licence and arranged a bar with the beer on sale or return. They even financed it, worked out the costs and served for us!

Weirdest coincidence was that my Brother's ship was hit by an Exocet at the same time we were getting ready for the Wedding itself. We did not find out until it was announced the following morning, so our Honeymoon was cancelled and
the day was a little subdued as we were contacting various places and people I knew for the casualty list to make sure he was OK

The other bizarre and good news was that my brother was a Naval Medic and on that morning was asked by one of the chefs if he would start early and do a dressing before he went to work. My brother agreed and was in the sick bay at the time he would normally have been in the Galley.

Pure fate as the Exocet entered the Galley and on any other day he would have been there.

The Sainted Mrs Morrisman has opined many times the the length of a marriage is inversely proportional to the money spent on the wedding/honeymoon.

Top Bottom