There are still some great people out there.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am in full agreement with the views of the posters on the thread about how some people make us ashamed to be members of the same species. Today I had some faith in human nature restored though.
I was out for a bike ride from Glasgow to Largs, part of which involved a short ferry crossing (more of a tin bath tub than a ferry) across the Clyde from Yoker to Renfrew. The fare is £1.70. There was only me and two other passengers, both of whom looked as if they didn't have two pennies to rub together.
I got on the boat, whereupon I tried to pay the grumpy driver with a £10 note as I only had about 80 pence in loose change. Mr Grumpy told me he did not have change of £10 (!!) and I got the distinct impression he wasn't for allowing me to make the crossing unless I could come up with the correct fare. Cue the other two passengers, complete strangers to me and to each other, who chipped in 50 pence each to cover the rest of my fare. It could only happen in Glasgow! A small gesture, but it made my day :smile:. Thank you; whoever you were :bravo:.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
It worked again for you?
I thought that that ferry was defunct..
I travelled on it a fair bit in the 70s or was it another:whistle:
Must return with the right money:okay: (they'll no fall for it again until next month)

snorri

Legendary Member
I thought that that ferry was defunct..I travelled on it a fair bit in the 70s or was it another:whistle:
It was almost defunct after SPT decided to withdraw, but then Clydelink took over the route with more modern but smaller(12 passenger max) boats.
Certainly different from the car ferry of the 70s which was converted into a floating night club and moored on the Broomielaw.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
The wee ferry works ok @Bobby Mhor
@Brandane there is a route over the Erskine bridge not far from the ferry at Yoker. I think you can go under the Clyde Tunnel too.
Thanks @Pat "5mph"
I think our North Ayrshire friend tried to catch a flight to Largs from the old Abbotsinch Airport...
It was almost defunct after SPT decided to withdraw, but then Clydelink took over the route with more modern but smaller(12 passenger max) boats.
Certainly different from the car ferry of the 70s which was converted into a floating night club and moored on the Broomielaw.
I loved those old 'clanky' boats...

must return for a wee trip

Top Bottom