There really is no hope...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
NCT?

Seemed as a money maker when first introduced.

It is the NCT. As they don't repair the car in any way there is nothing for them to gain by telling people to replace parts which don't need replaced. I've always found them fair enough to deal with. They do have the power to ground a vehicle if the defect is serious enough but this is the first time I've ever come across anyone who had it happen so I can only assume the tyres were in a terrible state.

I'm just questioning how someone could have tyres so badly worn and not notice and also not see why it is a safety critical issue. If the tyres were just simply worn slightly more than the limit or maybe one had a cut or other localised damage that isn't always that obvious if it's on the inside of the tyre. I could understand that and how it could be missed or over-looked.

Many drivers have no idea whatsoever how their car actually works. I understand that. I don't expect every car owner to be able to strip and re-build the engine and gearbox. This is very basic stuff. BMW would have supplied an owner's manual with the car which will have advice on things to check between services - including tyre condition. For most people a car is a big investment. Taking an interest in the thing and maintaining it correctly will make it last longer, make it more reliable and also safer in normal use. I cannot fathom the mindset of someone who refuses to do so. Driving is much more enjoyable and safer in a well maintained car.

There again, I cannot fathom the mindset of the middle-aged guy I see around town regularly on an early Peugeot mountain bike with the arms of the canti brakes dangling uselessly out to the sides as the straddle wires must be broken or disconnected. It is not expensive or particularly difficult to re-cable canti brakes so why ride around dragging your heels to stop as he does? The bike was originally equipped with the means of bringing it to a halt so not fix it? He'd find cycling would be more enjoyable and safer if he serviced his bike. It's true he's only really a danger to himself and he rarely above walking speed but it is still a stupid thing to do.

Why can't people take responsibility for their own actions and maintain their vehicles in roadworthy condition (and operate them in a safe and courteous manner) or else get off the road?

classic33

Leg End Member
It is the NCT. As they don't repair the car in any way there is nothing for them to gain by telling people to replace parts which don't need replaced. I've always found them fair enough to deal with. They do have the power to ground a vehicle if the defect is serious enough but this is the first time I've ever come across anyone who had it happen so I can only assume the tyres were in a terrible state.

I'm just questioning how someone could have tyres so badly worn and not notice and also not see why it is a safety critical issue. If the tyres were just simply worn slightly more than the limit or maybe one had a cut or other localised damage that isn't always that obvious if it's on the inside of the tyre. I could understand that and how it could be missed or over-looked.

Many drivers have no idea whatsoever how their car actually works. I understand that. I don't expect every car owner to be able to strip and re-build the engine and gearbox. This is very basic stuff. BMW would have supplied an owner's manual with the car which will have advice on things to check between services - including tyre condition. For most people a car is a big investment. Taking an interest in the thing and maintaining it correctly will make it last longer, make it more reliable and also safer in normal use. I cannot fathom the mindset of someone who refuses to do so. Driving is much more enjoyable and safer in a well maintained car.

There again, I cannot fathom the mindset of the middle-aged guy I see around town regularly on an early Peugeot mountain bike with the arms of the canti brakes dangling uselessly out to the sides as the straddle wires must be broken or disconnected. It is not expensive or particularly difficult to re-cable canti brakes so why ride around dragging your heels to stop as he does? The bike was originally equipped with the means of bringing it to a halt so not fix it? He'd find cycling would be more enjoyable and safer if he serviced his bike. It's true he's only really a danger to himself and he rarely above walking speed but it is still a stupid thing to do.

Why can't people take responsibility for their own actions and maintain their vehicles in roadworthy condition (and operate them in a safe and courteous manner) or else get off the road?
When it was introduced, it was a bit like the MOT over here. Now it's seperate from any garage, and run by a company who get more from a retest.

In reality, I don't think it's ever recovered from when it was introduced. A licence to print money, with cars being failed simply to make money from the repairs. Very little coming from the actual test itself.

But as you point out that some need to learn to take responsibility for their own actions, some never will. Oddly it seems to be the younger end of the driving scale that fall foul of it.

Currently into it's 20th year.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's not just back street garages; my local VW dealer is always flagging up tyres and brakes that are more than half worn and offering to replace them. The staff are trained to drum up work, same as politicians are trained to evade questions.

I had a colleague who was known for being disorganised. One day she gave me a lift in her Civic and the first time she braked I heard metal on metal. I was alarmed and told her she needed to go to a garage that day to avoid expensive damage if it hadn't already been done. About a month later she turned up for work very late and upset. When I asked the reason she explained that the car had suddenly stopped sharply with a loud bang and some shiny round pieces of metal had fallen out from under the front - the brake discs had disintegrated.

Another colleague gave me a lift and as soon as we set off I could hear and feel a bump bump bump so I told her to stop. Got out and found the tyres ringing fit to burst, one with a huge lump like an ostrich egg. When I asked her when she last checked the pressures she replied: "I don't know, I just put air in them every week"!

Last edited:

yello

This is another eason I won't own a car: too complicated and stressful, especially as making a mistake can potentially kill someone...

There's that. They are also frekkin' expensive to run (if one keeps up-to-date with the proper maintenance!) I reckon around 25% of our outgoings are down to the car and it's various costs. Sadly, living in rural isolation, it is darned near a necessity. When I lived in central London, a car would have been a right pain and completely unnecessary.

Exactly.
It's all very well for city dwellers to pontificate about the evils of the motor car; but I've a feeling they would change their tune pretty darned quick if faced with the realities of rural living.

I don't live in a city. I live close to one but it still takes a fair bit of organisation where I am. When we moved here we were told it would be "difficult" to live here with no car and now and again still someone comes along and says it is "impossible".

We've been here 14 years so far...

screenman

Legendary Member
Exactly.
It's all very well for city dwellers to pontificate about the evils of the motor car; but I've a feeling they would change their tune pretty darned quick if faced with the realities of rural living.

We live as you know quite rural, it is suprising to me how many people seldom leave the village, one lady did not visit Lincoln until she was 72 despite the fact you could see it from her house, plenty only go in every few years..

Last edited:

yello

Certainly in France, there's a growing awareness of rural isolation. Access to health care is perhaps the biggest concern, not least because the number of rural GPs is diminishing. I've even heard that people have been advised to go a vet (which are understandably greater in number!) in the absence of a GP.

Some communes have travelling admin services; state/dept/commune funded campervans equipped with internet access to help people (particularly the elderly) with any problems - tax or state related, or electric or whatever. Butchers, boulangeries and grocery stores etc do sometimes have local travelling shops to provide the basics but you're at the whim of the shop owners for that. Our local bread delivery service went several years ago - just not cost effective for them. It's a big issue in France (disappearing local services) and places a 'near necessity' status on the car. Against that backdrop, one can understand why the gilets jaunes movement started - rooted, as it is, in opposition to fuel cost increases. It was seen as a tax imposed on the 'have nots' by those living in comparative wealth and ignorance.

D

Deleted member 26715

We live as you know quite rural, it is suprising to me how many people seldom leave the village, one lady did not visit Lincoln until she was 72 despite the fact you could see it from her house, plenty only go in every few years..
Not heard of that recently but we used to go to Blyth North Notts in the late 70's there it would be quite common for them to only visit Worksop once a month & a vist to Doncaster was a thing to be planned.

screenman

Legendary Member
Not heard of that recently but we used to go to Blyth North Notts in the late 70's there it would be quite common for them to only visit Worksop once a month & a vist to Doncaster was a thing to be planned.

We shop often in Doncaster, we drive through Lincoln to get there, last time we went by train cost us £28 that was 10 years ago. At the moment to get to a village 3 miles away takes a 23 mile each way drive due to a bridge closure for 3 months.

gbb

Legendary Member
I remember in a conversation someone being told their headlight was out, and he complained they were one piece units on a Mercedes, cost IRO £250 each and he couldnt affford it.
Tough, shouldnt have brought the car then . I hope he got a ticket for it at some stage.

Regarding KneesUp observation re brake pipes, i have an app on my phone (Vehicle Smart) that lets you see the tax and MOT status etc on any car, just type in the reg. You'd be surprised how often brake pipes get mentioned as an advisory, something along the lines of 'Brake pipe contaminated with grease or other material' Not a fail, it probably means its got dirt on it but no leakage visible'.

screenman

Legendary Member
I remember in a conversation someone being told their headlight was out, and he complained they were one piece units on a Mercedes, cost IRO £250 each and he couldnt affford it.
Tough, shouldnt have brought the car then . I hope he got a ticket for it at some stage.

Regarding KneesUp observation re brake pipes, i have an app on my phone (Vehicle Smart) that lets you see the tax and MOT status etc on any car, just type in the reg. You'd be surprised how often brake pipes get mentioned as an advisory, something along the lines of 'Brake pipe contaminated with grease or other material' Not a fail, it probably means its got dirt on it but no leakage visible'.

People seldom buy a car, they only buy a months worth at a time, this along with many other monthly outgoings leave many skint.

Top Bottom