There were these tree fellers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've got a 25-30ft rowan tree in the garden which has a terminal fungus disease whose name escapes me. It's dying from the roots up. The question is, do I have the right to chop it down without consent? I'm have an idea that you can't just chop trees down on a whim although size and variety may be a factor. Anyone know?

I don't know about Brighton, but in London you would be in deep poo if you were just to cut it down. Defo get some advice!!

As a general rule, even if a tree is subject to a Tree Preservation Order, it can be felled when unsafe or to prevent the spread of disease. But check with the council first.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Oh, when i lived in London, I chopped down 2x 25ft conifers in my back garden which were blocking the light...who do I contact to own up? :tongue: :biggrin: :?: :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fnaar said:
Oh, when i lived in London, I chopped down 2x 25ft conifers in my back garden which were blocking the light...who do I contact to own up? :?: :smile: :biggrin: :laugh:

Try handing yourself in at Paddington Green Police Station? I expect they aren't very busy just now, and will be happy to listen to your tale... :tongue:

Cab

rich p said:
I've got a 25-30ft rowan tree in the garden which has a terminal fungus disease whose name escapes me.

Ganoderma? Honey fungus?

The advice given above is good though. Local councils tree officer, or ask for their arboriculture people.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A second brood? That could explain why my tits are moving about so much at the moment.

mosschops2

Also, getting the "tree officer" out shouldn't cost you anything.

Even if you're in a conservation area, you'll be fine to cut it down if it has a fungus. I'd be careful though, although know nothing about it - can you safely dispose of / saw through a fungus infested tree????

In general though, I'd think carefully before getting the tree officer out for every whim. I live in a conservation area. Our neighbours wanted to check that they could cut a tree down. Tree officer came out.....
It turned out that the tree they wanted to get rid of wasn't listed on their register. So the tree officer added it, and then told them they couldn't cut it down!!! Doh!!

Tetedelacourse

Get it axed and disguise your crime by fashioning furniture out of the remains. If the law questions you, deny everything but work in as many tree puns as possible to create an air of mystery and suspicion.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tetedelacourse said:
Get it axed and disguise your crime by fashioning furniture out of the remains. If the law questions you, deny everything but work in as many tree puns as possible to create an air of mystery and suspicion.

You mean, instigate a root and branch investigation, but in the report, leaf out the vital facts and hope the law's bark is worse than its bite? If nabbed, put in a trunk call to your lawyer and make sure they log your details properly.

With a bit of luck, they'll never twig it was yew... Oak-ay?

Sorry...

A mate of mine lives in a leafy avenue in Copenhagen. His neighbour, a nice old lady, used to take her dog for a walk three times a day; a bit excessive, perhaps! No, not at all. Three times a day she would pour some kind of poison around the bottom of a big old tree (one of about 20), which confounded the council workers who came along to fell the only 'dead tree' in the avenue, and now she has all the light she needs in her flat. :tongue:

Top Bottom