There's a Lot More Benefit From Cycle Commuting Than Just Losing a Couple Of Kilos.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
It was a year ago this week that I dusted off my old bike and decided to spend some of my furlough (six weeks off) biking up the local riverside cycle path.

A year later, and I'm now a fully fledged twat on a bike.

I started riding my bike to both alleviate the boredom of lockdown and maintain my poor level of fitness.

A year on, I'm not only physically fitter, I also feel better in my mind as well.

I look forward to the challenges of the 25mph westerly on the way home and the missus keeps grabbing me on the bum saying how it feels like concrete.

I've seen sights you can't see from a car in rush hour traffic. Barn owls, foxes, hares, roe deer and bloody pheasants.

Being elevated on a bike, I can see the views over the hedgerows which the car driver is oblivious to.

It's a massive thumbs up for cycle commuting from me.

sheddy

Legendary Member
A shame that so many motorists don't get this.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I was a cycle commuter for over 30 years and only stopped when I retired, a great way to get to and from work.
You arrive head and shoulders above the others.

Your body and brain have had a massive bloodflow and clear out and you've just experienced a journey which most of your workmates would struggle to do.

It's nearly the best thing I ever did.

Slick

Guru
I agree wholeheartedly with that. Even winter has its advantages but yesterday's ride home was the epitome of your description as I extended my usual 15 miles return journey to more than double that in the sun. Love it. 👍

On another note, not sure if its me that's doing it wrong or not but my ass is certainly not like concrete. :okay:

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I agree wholeheartedly with that. Even winter has its advantages but yesterday's ride home was the epitome of your description as I extended my usual 15 miles return journey to more than double that in the sun. Love it. 👍

On another note, not sure if its me that's doing it wrong or not but my ass is certainly not like concrete. :okay:
I've always had a skinny arse. According to the missus, she wouldn't have looked at me once if I had a flappy bottom in 1993 when we first met.

Riding the bike to work seems to have renewed her interest in me?

I look forward to the challenges of the 25mph westerly on the way home and the missus keeps grabbing me on the bum saying how it feels like concrete
Congratulations on your introduction to adult cycling - may you and the missus enjoy it for years to come.

On a technical point I had the idea that cycling didn't do much for bums.

(asking for someone else)

edit - done my usual trick of diving into a thread before reading it all - seems to have diverted to arse shaping and cycling.
maybe a new thread? At the risk of drive-bys from PACA calling out objectification.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
On a technical point I had the idea that cycling didn't do much for bums.
I'm one of those people who puts puts a great big layer of fat on his arse every time he sees an advert for a pork pie.

My bum grew by 20% yesterday when I walked past an empty crisp packet.

After a couple of miles of bike riding though, my Glutes become harder than the hardest carbon fibre.

simongt

Guru
Yup. At 67, I'm the oldest person at my workplace and I still enjoy and prefer biking the twelve miles each way most days as I've been doing for years; usually it's only crap weather that makes the decision for me. I may be daft, but I'm not stupid - ! :rofl: The vast majority of the other staff who mostly live closer than me drive. :whistle:
Nuff said - ! :laugh:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I have to admit, there were days in the depth of winter, when I questioned my sanity at cycling when I had a car parked outside the home.

On reaching home and getting out of the warm shower there was that immeasurable feeling of achievement and all was forgotten.

Top Bottom