There's no easy way to say this so..........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
BilboSmeggins said:
Not too concerned with the impotency as I had the snip 20 years ago :sad:.
Don't confuse impotence with infertility. Even if you are firing blanks, I assume that you like to have a working gun.

I DO need to have a play around with the saddle though. It is fairly horizontal at the moment. I shall try and tilt it forward a little, if no better then I shall look for a more suitable bum rest.
The saddle position is much more likely to be the cause than the type of saddle. Dropping the saddle nose a couple of mm usually sorts it, but it can also be caused by the saddle being too high or the bars too low. Have a look at one of the online fitting calculators or get a session on a jig.

If you decide that you do need a new saddle, be wary about going straight for one with cutouts. They can put a lot of pressure on the bits to the side of the perineum, which a lot of people find just as uncomfortable. The one I tried was hideous, but when I gave it to a mate who had had a prostate operation he found it was the only saddle he could ride. Me, I'm a Brooks diehard.

BTW, if you do get numb knob, stand on the pedals until the feeling returns. Riding on with it numb can cause long term damage.

ianrauk said:
32061.jpg

from Chain Reaction

Is that what your penis looked like? :ohmy:xx( :sad:

I would have thought that your saddle is perhaps positioned too high, and as a result, as someone mentioned, your prudenal nerve could be getting damaged.

Read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudendal_nerve_entrapment and go and see someone for an examination to make sure no long-term damage has been done.

Debian

BilboSmeggins said:
Not too concerned with the impotency as I had the snip 20 years ago :biggrin:. I DO need to have a play around with the saddle though. It is fairly horizontal at the moment. I shall try and tilt it forward a little, if no better then I shall look for a more suitable bum rest. Are those gel covers any good, or not worth bothering with?

Impotence is not the same as being infertile. Impotence means you can't get an erection so I would be concerned! :smile:

Svendo

Guru
Having the saddle too far back, even only a few millimetres can cause this too. You end up with too much weight on the narrow bit of the saddle and not enough on your sit bones on the back of the saddle, causing the excess pressure on your pudendal wotsit leading to said penile numbness.
Incidentally anyone else remember Billy Connolly's story regarding this issue, which mentions a sales leaflet for spontex cushoned saddles covers, describing them as an alternative to 'discreet massage' for this very problem?

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Debian said:
Impotence is not the same as being infertile. Impotence means you can't get an erection so I would be concerned! :biggrin:

Crumbs!! I'm so naive. On the plus side though, I watched Countdown earlier and can definitely confirm that the problem hasn't manifested itself yet :bicycle:. Seriously though you have all given me cause for concern. I'll deffo have an experiment with riding/seating position before my next outing.

Debian

BilboSmeggins said:
Crumbs!! I'm so naive. On the plus side though, I watched Countdown earlier and can definitely confirm that the problem hasn't manifested itself yet :biggrin:. Seriously though you have all given me cause for concern. I'll deffo have an experiment with riding/seating position before my next outing.

She is quite nice isn't she? :ohmy: :blush:

Don't get paranoid about it, don't let it carry on happening too frequently or for too long, that's all. Get the saddle right, get some decent padded shorts if you haven't already and if it does happen on a ride just get off the saddle for a few minutes straight away until the numbness goes away.

I still suffer from it occasionally and I too can confirm that there are no ill effects yet! :tongue:

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
or you could just relax and enjoy it like i do :wacko:

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Debian said:
Impotence is not the same as being infertile. Impotence means you can't get an erection so I would be concerned! xx(
Opps :birthday: I miss-read that too. Went straight out this evening and angled my saddle downwards slightly.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Shaun said:
Opps xx( I miss-read that too. Went straight out this evening and angled my saddle downwards slightly.

And me. saddle on the Scott is great so dont want to cxhange it. I have on the odd occasion experienced numbness so will try it nose slightly down for a bit.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Went for a ride today with the saddle angled downwards a notch at it was most uncomfortable. The saddle threw all my weight forwards onto my arms and wrists. I've since returned the saddle to the horizontal and I'll just have to take my chances with the hobnob.

Top Bottom