They must be races!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossala

Guru
From where I come from not claiming the dole as it was is something to be proud of, you maybe have had a different life. I will take on board what you have said.
I question why though? I used to claim Tax credits because I needed to, many years ago I was on JSA for around 9 months once again because I needed to. You're paying into the system your whole life, you might as well get the help when you need it, especially with a family to support. I come from a poor family when I was young and my Dad got a degree when I was 6 or 7. He is now quite affluent so I saw both sides. My Dad worked hard but he still got a free degree (benefit), council house until I was 11 (benefit) and income support.

Most people take more out of the system than they pay in (a bit unfair as capital is unevenly distributed) so I guess most people are "moochers" as the Daily Mail likes to put it. Also say a couple both work low waged jobs, one a refuse collector and the other a carer in a nursing home. They would get tax credits but they're more contributive to society than an rich investment banker.

Saying all this I have respect for anyone that educates themselves as an adult and supports their family through hard times, good work!

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's disingenuous to pretend they aren't racing.
But one can race (verb) in an event which is not a race (noun). In fact, if we're being picky about grammar, which it seems we are, the OP is incorrect about the article calling the event a race multiple times, as the word is used twice as a verb but only once as a noun.

So there.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Pale Rider, would you be kind enough to correct my mistake.

No means of doing so, but if you remove the apostrophe from "say's" in the OP that would do it.

'Less is more' is a good maxim for punctuation, most apostrophe abuse on here is putting one in where it's not wanted, particularly for plurals.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
No means of doing so, but if you remove the apostrophe from "say's" in the OP that would do it.

'Less is more' is a good maxim for punctuation, most apostrophe abuse on here is putting one in where it's not wanted, particularly for plurals.

Thank you. So the fact it mentions the word race a few times then I should still use the singular? I am extremely happy to be educated as the day I stop it will not be worth carrying on

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thank you. So the fact it mentions the word race a few times then I should still use the singular? I am extremely happy to be educated as the day I stop it will not be worth carrying on

The word 'says' never has an apostrophe, it doesn't matter what is being said.

Says is a form of the verb 'to say', so doesn't have a singular or plural form.

I confused the job by mentioning plurals in which I was referring to nouns - things.

No apostrophes in plurals, so the plural of cat is cats, the plural of windscreen is windscreens, and so on.

Where many mistakes are made is in the plural form of a noun ending in a vowel - a, e, i, o, u.

The plural of photo is photos, not photo's, but people routinely slap in an apostrophe because photos looks wrong and sounds as if it should be pronounced 'pho-toz'.

Of course, photo is a short form of photograph, the plural of which is photographs.

Top Bottom