They must be races!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossala

Guru
To be fair, a lot of cyclist use them as races.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Newspapers frequently refer to cycling events as 'races' unless specifically told otherwise.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
While anyone has the right to call journalists names, your criticism would carry more weight if you had some grasp of the correct use of the apostrophe.

Thanks for spotting that, I will give the keyboard a good telling off.

I could not read at all until I was eleven my parents were rubbish and the education as bad. I was married at 18 and bought up a well balanced family without once claiming benefits.

I struggle with grammar as you have kindly pointed out to me.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I will give the keyboard a good telling off.

A bad workman blames his tools - as you will know.

Many people are very, very, quick to criticise on the internet - the website hadn't long published the story before you got stuck in.

That's fine, but if you set yourself up as a higher authority - labelling someone professionally as Muppet - you need to be able to back it up.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's a race.

Screenshots_2018-05-12-17-31-11.png

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Some Sportive organisers do have the term 'race' dotted about in their literature.

It would be nice to think the journalist being labelled a Muppet checked the organiser's site before bashing out the copy.

Unlikely, although it's possible the term 'race' appeared in a press release, written by someone with an equal lack of understanding of what a cycle sportive is supposed to be.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
Some Sportive organisers do have the term 'race' dotted about in their literature.

It would be nice to think the journalist being labelled a Muppet checked the organiser's site before bashing out the copy.

Unlikely, although it's possible the term 'race' appeared in a press release, written by someone with an equal lack of understanding of what a cycle sportive is supposed to be.

You do not read the Lincolnite site often I guess.

fossala

Guru
...I was married at 18 and bought up a well balanced family without once claiming benefits..
You have been manipulated to think claiming benefits when you need them is a bad thing, yet ALL business rely on them. You put yourself and your family through un-needed hardship. Not only that, present it as a good thing to future generations.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
You have been manipulated to think claiming benefits when you need them is a bad thing, yet ALL business rely on them. You put yourself and your family through un-needed hardship. Not only that, present it as a good thing to future generations.

From where I come from not claiming the dole as it was is something to be proud of, you maybe have had a different life. I will take on board what you have said.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You do not read the Lincolnite site often I guess.

You are right about that.

It appears to be one of a number of local news sites that have sprung up in many areas in the last 10 years or so.

They are generally run on a shoestring, depending on a relatively small income from advertising to pay the bills and staff.

I suspect Emily Norton - aka Miss Piggy - will be hoping her time on the site leads to bigger and better things.

In that respect, being called a Muppet will be as nothing to what she will get called on the likes of the Sun and Daily Mail.

So your remark could be seen as character forming.

She will thank you in years to come.

Top Bottom