They're at it again - Hyde Park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
yello said:
I used to avoid Hyde Park on the bike. I thought it a right pain most of the time, mainly due to pedestrians not realising they were wandering over a cycle lane. I preferred the roads as at least cars behaved with a degree of predictability!

That was over 3 years ago. It must be worse now.

I ride the London Parks (most of them infact) but never on the "off-road" cycle lanes.

I posted a video (link) on the over congestion and down right danger of the parks cycle paths (very thin, dual paths with approaching riders hitting 30mph just centimetres from you on the hills)

I always stick to the roads through the parks. they are far less congested, allow a good turn of speed and I don’t upset pedestrians or equestrians along the way.

Granted the roads are not as direct (or attractive) as some of the paths but often the delay is worth it for the enjoyment.

skrx

I use the roads, except I use the path that goes north from Exhibition Road (West Carriage Drive) instead of the road, since it has too many road humps.

OP
OP
L

LOGAN 5

Just as I had predicted there are now "cyclists dismount loose gravel" signs on a cycle path!

Another bit of gravel has now appeared all over the top section of Rotten Row which involves turning left/right over gravel.

If the Parks don't want bikes to use the path why don't they close it instead of making it so dangeroue.

I've emailed Bird in Parks Dept.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
A good point Tynan.
In the case of rotten row in hyde park, there is a pretty good cycle lane in adjacent road, and that road isn't exactly a busy one. IMO if your going to be doing anything more than 14mph you should be on the road.

yello

jonny jeez said:
I ride the London Parks (most of them infact) but never on the "off-road" cycle lanes.

Yes, that's what I meant too. I didn't use the cycle lanes but the roads themselves are perfectly ok. Even up and down the east side, I preferred Park Lane to the shared cycle path in Hyde Park.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You should see some of the cyclists that come through the park - most are polite and good, but a few are all angry and impatient, just like the drivers I'm sure they hate. Ringing bell, shouting, and unwilling to use their brakes.

Top Bottom