They've just cut down my favourite tree.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
Bastards!!:biggrin:
I live near a main road, with cars hurtling past all day long and most of the night too.
Just along from me was a solitary apple tree which, every spring, produced the most terrific covering of luxuriant and pristine, snow-white blossom. I was very fond of it: it became a friend and year after year I used to marvel at this wondrous display. It was my secret almost, because I never saw anyone else admiring it. Where I am everyone drives into town and therefore has little time for such marvels. I used to wonder whether it did it just for me.
Well, it won't any longer: there's some new houses going up and this morning there's a stump where the tree once was.
I'm distraught and have just been and had a rant in the site office.
It was met with blank stares.
Bastards!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
betty swollocks said:
Bastards!!:biggrin:
I live near a main road, with cars hurtling past all day long and most of the night too.
Just along from me was a solitary apple tree which, every spring, produced the most terrific covering of luxuriant and pristine, snow-white blossom. I was very fond of it: it became a friend and year after year I used to marvel at this wondrous display. It was my secret almost, because I never saw anyone else admiring it. Where I am everyone drives into town and therefore has little time for such marvels. I used to wonder whether it did it just for me.
Well, it won't any longer: there's some new houses going up and this morning there's a stump where the tree once was.
I'm distraught and have just been and had a rant in the site office.
It was met with blank stares.
Bastards!
i'm surprised not security as well. :biggrin:

SamNichols

My grandmother got into the local papers for screaming abuse and, if I remember correctly, throwing water at developers who were cutting down trees in her neighbour's garden (they had an environmental control order on them, as she got one just as they were beginning the process of cutting it down). She stated she wouldn't let them on her property - so they also repeatedly hopped over the fence to slash trees in her garden, in order to kill them (the bottom end of the garden was eventually sold to the developers who were putting a great deal of pressure on both her and other neighbours). She's 82 and lives on her own - breaking into the gardens of the elderly is hardly a brilliant tactic on their part (my uncle who is the head of a planning and environment agency was livid).

So, all in all, developers don't give a hoot about the beauty of trees, the age of trees, or the fact that they're endangered, or a vital habitat. What they care about is sticking up horrible estates.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Sorry to hear that Betty.

I've thought for a long time that cutting down trees should be completely prohibited, unless in exceptional circumstances.

Years to grow, seconds to fall :biggrin:

There's precious few of the things left as it is :biggrin:

U

User482

Worth checking if the tree had a preservation order, and if so, that they had permission to take it down. Won't bring the tree back but might make a load of hassle for the people that did it.

asterix

Comrade Member
This is a forested area with Chestnuts and Oaks. Timber is literally a crop to be cut down and then replacements are planted. I buy timber from the local sawmill for lintels and beams. The problem in much of the UK is that so many trees are in their late years and whilst they look magnificent, the fact remains they are near the end of their healthy lives and yet so little is done to plant replacements.

In my garden I have 3 large but now decaying chestnuts and several young oaks that I am nurturing - the young trees have made excellent progress this year and the largest will exceed 6 metres next year. Last year it was so slender I was able to shake the trunk to dislodge the june bugs which eat the leaves.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Thanks for your comments everyone.
This evening I'm going to search out a pre-digital age photo of the tree in blossom-time, so I can take it to the site office tomorrow and show them the beauty they've destroyed.
Bastards!

buggi

Bird Saviour
you're wasting your time with the site office. All they will do is give you more blank stares and then rip the p*ss out of you when you leave. Find out if they had permission to cut it down, complain to the council and phone the local paper.

ps. i have a really nice one outside my flat. you can come and look at it anytime. :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
A few took the pee out of me when I complained about the oldest tree in Carnforth being cut down. No preservation order on it so when Safeway came calling - down it came. It wasn't even on the site and could, with a little thought and perhaps the loss of one car parking space, have still been there.

I got a letter back saying " blah, blah, blah we of course will be doing a token bit of cr*ppy little planting with them sh*t plants that numptys always spec for cr*ppy little cr*ppy carparks blah, blah, blah"

It was the oak near the Spar if you knew it. :biggrin:

I've since planted a few trees to make up for it. Every little helps.

buggi

Bird Saviour
hey, that's an idea. why don't you plant a few acorns around their newly built houses. make sure you plant them within 3 foot of each house. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom