Thick Pannier Fitting Q

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Okay so my panniers have finally arrived (Blasted Paypal and their e-cheques. I swear I didn't chose an e-cheque to pay with).

I have these ones from SJS Cycles;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....h=007&category=56198&_trksid=p1742.m153.l1262

Now, they don't come with fixing instructions and I've never had panniers before. The rack hooks and velcro strap seems straight forward enough. It's the elasticated securing strap with hook that's getting me. I take it, it's stretched to hook at the bottom of the fack near the fixing points? What I think confused me more is that I actually have two on each bag, so four in total, and from the auction I should just have one on each bag. Should I take a set off? I currently have them crossing over the top of the rack.

Please help a pannier numpty like me! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Mmmm, I see where you mean. I have this rack;
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360025253&N=Tubus Cargo Rear Rack

I hooked the strap on the small horizontal section near the fixing points (similar to where you pointed out on the blackburn rack).
The panniers didn't fall off on the way to work this morning (where I go quite fast down a horrible road surface where if anything falls off it's usually there). So maybe that's the right place to hook them. Probably need to see if you can make the straps smaller to ensure they hold the pannier tighter to the rack.

Assuming that you haven't got two left (or right) handed panniers (the description says that they come with two strap/hooks on one pannier, and one should be moved to the other pannier), look on one as a spare :biggrin:. 'Twangy' strap things tend not to last long (IME). That hook looks as though it would fit neatly around the axle (inside the stays).

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Yorkshireman said:
Assuming that you haven't got two left (or right) handed panniers (the description says that they come with two strap/hooks on one pannier, and one should be moved to the other pannier), look on one as a spare ;). 'Twangy' strap things tend not to last long (IME). That hook looks as though it would fit neatly around the axle (inside the stays).

I think I do have a L & R pannier as the reflective pockets are on different sides, so both face to the rear if you follow me. I obviously have a "spare" set of 'Twangy' straps! They're only for an everyday commute into work so what I'll probably do is leave one in the office with a weeks worth of change of clothes etc on a Monday and take it home on the Fri, and the other one I'll just always leave on the bike with my waterproofs, spares, pump & lunch etc.
All very exciting, I never realised how useful panniers are, I've been too committed to my rucksack.

Oh Dear! Oh Dear! ... A Single Pannier Cyclist ...
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=10054&highlight=single+pannier
:biggrin: ... Still, if your'e not a CTC member :evil:. I sometimes have four panniers (and sometimes a tent and sundry other bits of luggage), three panniers, two, one or none (might be a shopping bag or something bungeed onto the rack-top even), and I am a member of the CTC :evil: :biggrin:.
The more room you have, the more stuff you seem to 'need' to carry ;).

Tynan

Veteran
I had those and didn't really get on with them, never worked out what to do with the elastic hook, the rubbed on the wheel and then snapped and I got on better without them, the bottoms wore through somehow, the tops seemed to be waterproof enough but they leaked through the bases

lashed out on Ortliebs with the insurance and they're at least as good as everyone says they are, got one going spare if anyone wants to offer near the rrp

yeah I use one, what of it, who would ride with two when they can get away with one

In the old days of Karrimor, this was the standard fitting method.

You can buy a small "loop" which fits to the bottom of the rack on the securing bolt. This allows mounting of th eelastic cord.

As a word of warning do not just let these hang!

Catching on the spoke cases immediate locking of the wheel.

Just as cheap is to retrofit an Altura hook and bar...

15468altura_l.jpg

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
I've been using them quite happily at the moment. The elasticated hook goes on the bottom near the rear stay bit (sorry really bad explanation I know!). I haven't had to use them in really bad weather yet, but they were okay with the rain we had a couple of days ago.
I was drooling over the Ortilebs myself, but can't really justify the cost for what I'm using the panniers for. Thought I might get some dry bags in anticipation of the winter, any one used these in conjunction with panniers?
The only thing I would have liked with these is some kind of strap to carry over the shoulders, rather than just the carry handle. Also on the side pockets a little loop to clip a rear light would have been useful to avoid having to faff with trying to mount the light on the rack. You get what you pays for at the end of the day!

Handles are easy...................

Small piece of deal or rod the same diameter as the rack, and slightly longer than the distance between hooks/ Place some webbing glued / tacked to either end

Then all you do is hook the rod into the clips and hey presto.

For advanced use, two longer straps between the dowels and you have a shoulder strap with one pannier in front and one behind.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Cunobelin said:
Handles are easy...................

Small piece of deal or rod the same diameter as the rack, and slightly longer than the distance between hooks/ Place some webbing glued / tacked to either end

Then all you do is hook the rod into the clips and hey presto.

For advanced use, two longer straps between the dowels and you have a shoulder strap with one pannier in front and one behind.

Mmmm, they have small carry handles already, but I suppose you could adapt, say a bamboo stick and get a strap from another bag and adapt that for a shoulder strap.......... Something to do on a boring rainy sunday I think! :smile:

Top Bottom