Thieves stealing dogs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Dog theft is a despicable crime on par with kidnapping for the owners.
The lowlifes who do it should get the same sentence. ie. Maximum - life.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Dog theft is a despicable crime on par with kidnapping for the owners.
The lowlifes who do it should get the same sentence. ie. Maximum - life.
I understand the sentiment but that puts the life of a dog on the same legal standing as a human.
Clearly that would never work.
A dog and a bicycle are about similar in legal terms if stolen. The sentimental value of an item isn’t taken into account by the law and a dog is a chattel.

D

Deleted member 26715

We shall (maybe) find out soon. A chap was arrested just a mile or so from me on Friday with 15 stolen dogs at his property. Police are now trying to trace the owners of these dogs:
  • Foxhound – female, ginger and white
  • Beagle/Foxhound – female, ginger and white
  • Foxhound type – male, tan, white and black
  • Foxhound/Beagle – female, ginger and white
  • French Bulldog – female, white and black
  • French Bulldog - female, brindle and white
  • French Bulldog - male, fawn
  • Shitzu - female, grey and white
  • Jack Russell - female and white
  • Cocker Spaniel – female and golden
  • Poodle cross/Lurcher – female and cream coloured
  • Cocker Spaniel – female and golden
Every one a terrible story for the dogs and the owners.
As all dogs have to be chipped now & has been the case for several years tracing the owners shouldn't be that difficult?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'm not a dog person myself but I know people who are. When people will pay thousands for a pug or French bulldog puppy*, you can see the attraction for lowlife to acquire a breeding bitch (possibly by theft) and find a male so they can get it on. A litter of puppies is like a lottery win to them.

Beat the system. Get a mongrel.

*both of which are prone to major health problems and don't live long

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I understand the sentiment but that puts the life of a dog on the same legal standing as a human.
Clearly that would never work.
A dog and a bicycle are about similar in legal terms if stolen. The sentimental value of an item isn’t taken into account by the law and a dog is a chattel.
I prefer dogs over a lot of humans I encounter.
Dogs are part of the family - bicycles are inanimate objects.
That should be taken into account.

gbb

Legendary Member
Same around here, a few dogs disappeared, a few reports if suspicious people on areas where dog walkers frequent...and now someones just posted locally on FB, their dog was taken from outside the shop.
Low.....

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Same around here, a few dogs disappeared, a few reports if suspicious people on areas where dog walkers frequent...and now someones just posted locally on FB, their dog was taken from outside the shop.
Low.....
I know a few dog owners here that won't leave their dogs now. Not the first time I've waited with someone's dog while they go into the shop to keep an eye on it.

CentralCommuter

I saw a French Mastiff the other day (like on Turner and Hooch). An absolutely phenomenal beast of a dog. That’s the kind of dog that could go about stealing people or other dogs if the fancy took it.

Reactions: gbb

DRM

Guru
As all dogs have to be chipped now & has been the case for several years tracing the owners shouldn't be that difficult?
A couple of years ago I'd dropped Mrs DRM at her friends and went home having got fish & chips on the way back, when I got home & was unlocking the door a black dog ran up and went into the house, so, I had to make a lead up out of a laptop bag strap, and take the dog for a walk round the block to see if any one was looking for him, there was no one about so went back, had my tea, then took him out again, still nobody out looking for him, the dogs collar had no contact details, so when Mrs DRM got home I took him out again, still nobody out, so we kept him overnight and phoned the local vets to see when they opened, we took him in and they scanned him, phoned the owner and within 10 minutes they were reunited, turns out the takeaway delivery driver left the gate open, and the dog did a runner when he was let out for a wee, so at least the chip did it's job.

Genau

There have been a few reports of people being punched and their dog taken. Mugged for their dog.

The motivation probably varies according to the dog. Expensive ones for resale or breeding, ones with a bit of spirit in them to act as target practice for a fighting dog.

Pure anedcote but friend of a friend had a man take a lot of interest in her dog until she mentioned she (the dog that is) was neutered. It wasn't actually true but she suspected he might go away and leave her alone if she said that.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
According to reports,a bloke around here was walking his German Shepherd(dog:rolleyes:) when someone in a car pulled up and asked if he (dog owner) could nip into a shop nearby to get him something while he (driver) looked after the dog as 'he couldn't walk too far'. The dog owner said words to the affect of 'if you can't walk,how can you handle my dog'. The driver told him to eff off and drove off. That to me and others sounds like a dog theft attempt.

DRM

Guru
According to reports,a bloke around here was walking his German Shepherd(dog:rolleyes:) when someone in a car pulled up and asked if he (dog owner) could nip into a shop nearby to get him something while he (driver) looked after the dog as 'he couldn't walk too far'. The dog owner said words to the affect of 'if you can't walk,how can you handle my dog'. The driver told him to eff off and drove off. That to me and others sounds like a dog theft attempt.
My mate’s dad had a German Shepherd that was the guard dog for his business, she was a lovely dog, and well behaved with us, but I shudder to think what would of been left of any thief that thought she was worth stealing

Top Bottom