Things don't last like they used to!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
Our grandfather clock is 200 years old...
and ours is over 250 years old, so far as we know its been running every day since.
(the last time it was give a look over and clean by the clock man was before WWII, so perhaps another one due in the next decade or so)

Arch

Married to Night Train
My mother's sewing machine had been her mother's. My mum died 7 years ago and hasn't been used since, it's in my dad's basement. I'd like to get my hands on it to turn up jeans etc. but we don't have the room to store it at the moment (might do when GF's son moves out:whistle:). It's an old hand cranked Singer like this
Singer-Sewing-Machine.jpg

Only does straight stitch but can get through 3 layers of denim.

I've got one of those, was my Grandma's.

There should be a serial number on a plate on it somewhere. You can look it up here:
http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial-numbers

and here:

http://www.singermachines.co.uk/faq/where-was-my-antique-sewing-machine-made/

and find out the year and place of manufacture. Mine is 1914, Clydebank.

OP
OP
guitarpete247

guitarpete247

Just about surviving

Matt1705

Über Member
My mum's tumble dryer is over 20 years old and still in regular use. I think she's also got one of those old singer sewing machines too.

subaqua

What’s the point
My mother's sewing machine had been her mother's. My mum died 7 years ago and hasn't been used since, it's in my dad's basement. I'd like to get my hands on it to turn up jeans etc. but we don't have the room to store it at the moment (might do when GF's son moves out:whistle:). It's an old hand cranked Singer like this
Singer-Sewing-Machine.jpg

Only does straight stitch but can get through 3 layers of denim.

my gran had a treadle operated one. It was her grans and i managed to sew my brothers hand with it playing with it as a kid. it made curtains for my first house before it died

Oldspice

my gran had a treadle operated one. It was her grans and i managed to sew my brothers hand with it playing with it as a kid. it made curtains for my first house before it died

Is your brother attached to your curtains?:eek:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
small bulb.JPG
You do realise that it's your refrigerator that is leading us to armageddon? The end of the world as we know it?*

At least my old anglepoise (mid 30s) takes eco bulbs.:angel:

My anglepoise knock-off from IKEA (£8.50) takes ES bulbs. Not wishing to be bathed in a light more suited to an autopsy room, I snaffled a large batch of planet-busting tungsten filament lamps from Screwfix, 78p each. Sorry.:evil:

Edit: I'm not sure that this disgusting image will slip past the Mods.

OP
OP
guitarpete247

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
My angle poise lamp that I bought 20 odd years ago from Habitat now takes low energy bulbs. I had to shorten then tighten the springs to counteract the increased weight of the low energy bulbs but it works just fine. It also takes ES fitting bulbs.

Top Bottom