Things don't last like they used to!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My gran has only recently stopped baking and so her Kenwood Chef from the 50's / 60's is having a bit of a rest from it's daily use (she was always baking something)...

...until i get my hands on it and then full speed ahead again.

My family just never really throws anything out that's still working or can be repaired, what's the point?

U

User482

Our grandfather clock is 200 years old...

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My mum still does all her sewing on a sewing machine that she got as an 18th birthday gift. In 2 years time the machine will have given 50 years faithful service.

I was struggling to think of examples of items - Mum's sewing machine was bought in the late 70's early 80's, it recently went in for a service to be told "I could service it, but you have actually worn it out" It will only do a straight stitch, none of the pattern stitches work anymore (so I've pinched it)
to date it has stitched a couple of tents, kayak spray-decks, a wetsuit for myself, multiple pairs of jeans, most of the clothes me and my brother wore from being very little through to our late teens (she's still making jeans for me to break her new machine in) and a cover for a large sailing dinghy!

It's had a hard life!

Dad had (until it was stolen) a power drill that Mum bought him instead of a wedding ring some time in the 70's, that thing was brutal, it kicked when you applied the power, had been used to drill concrete, brick, metal and wood, had even been used to mix concrete and was still going strong.

I've worn my black and decker out in a few weeks, only bought it a couple of years ago.

OP
OP
guitarpete247

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
My mother's sewing machine had been her mother's. My mum died 7 years ago and hasn't been used since, it's in my dad's basement. I'd like to get my hands on it to turn up jeans etc. but we don't have the room to store it at the moment (might do when GF's son moves out:whistle:). It's an old hand cranked Singer like this
Singer-Sewing-Machine.jpg

Only does straight stitch but can get through 3 layers of denim.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My Sprayway Goretax jacket is still going strong after 18 years even though it's filthy, it's got two patches on it from mountain bike falls and the last time I re-proofed it I used Thompson's Water Seal.

postman

Legendary Member
I still wear my Descent wind proof cycling jacket that I bought in 1980. I keep trying, but I can't wear it out.

Why not,it must get warm wearing it inside.

Top Bottom