Things I learned today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
..on my first "proper" ride out of a comfort zone of a known route

i. Dogs don't like recumbent trikes
ii. Dogs like the taste of my arm when on a recumbent trike
iiA. I still like dogs and blame the owners

iii. Flies and bees fly at a low height, in line with face and particularly teeth
iv. The clip on a platypus is not easy to re-clip onto anything whilst in motion
v. The pump holder on a Catrike is crap for holding a pump but is a good slot for a platypus drinking tube

vi. Learning the art of aligning a pothole perfectly between front and rear wheels is satisfying - especially when done in a split second on a fast descent
vii. Getting vi wrong is hairy
viii.Especially when braking hard

ix. It's all good

riggsbie

Coffee and Recumbent Trikes.......
I am with you on most of those points.......especially vi & vii

It's not only dogs that get spooked but horses seem to as well but at least they are not usually 'off the lead' and not out of control (usually driver/rider/owner with horse).

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
I forgot sheep. Had an interesting "shepherding" experience as I had to stop as 3 sheep were just running from me on the minor road straight to the busy main road, until an artic came the other way and we spent a good couple of minutes each edging forward whilst the sheep decided whether 18-wheel truck or idiot on a funny looking thing was the most threatening

One reason I like the Streamer fairing on my trike is when moving fast it tends to deflect all flying bugs over my head.
So at speed I don't eat to many of them ..... :tongue:

starhawk

When I was un upwrong cyklist I always had goggles because of those flies, but I have only eaten one. Since I changed to a tadpole I haven't encountered any flies, but I still have the goggles, just in case

byegad

Legendary Member
I got a wasp between my lip and teeth on an organised ride. I saw it coming towards me and snapped my mouth shut. My teeth were just closed enough to avoid swallowing the damn thing but it stung me once inside my upper lip before my fingers crushed it and threw it away.

spiro

Re iii - also in line with trouser/shorts, so be prepared for bees/wasps getting to places you dont want them near.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yeah, the Streamer fairing is handy for guarding against the stingy things flying up shorts scenario!

I've never had any problems with dogs, but horses don't like my trike one little bit. I always stop, stand up and talk to them. The combination seems to persuade them I'm a person.

One reason I like the Streamer fairing on my trike is when moving fast it tends to deflect all flying bugs over my head.
So at speed I don't eat to many of them ..... :tongue:

There is also a satisfying "ping" as you hear them bounce off the fairing

Top Bottom