Things that annoy you, that shouldn't..

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
I'm sure we all have little irrational niggles we could share...

Mine is like this. You're riding along a bike/pedestrian path, like the riverside path in York, and you're coming up to a family walking ahead of you, or towards you. Either they see you, or you ping your bell to warn them.

Now, all I want is for them to create enough room for me to get through safely - and I'm rarely going very fast. Just keep walking, but bunch up or move over so I can pass. What do I hate? When they leap out of your way, gather all their various children about them, and insist on standing still, while you pass. Makes me feel like I've disrupted their walk or they think I'm going to mow them down, when all I wanted to do was make sure none of them actually step in front of me.

I know, it's the tiniest little irritation. But I bet you can all come up with something pettier!;)
 

mosschops2

New Member
Location
Nottingham
I remember a family bike ride on a canal path, when a family didn't move out of the way - as they insisted that we shouldn't have been there at all!!!

(Which whilst correct (possibly) was most petty.... and infuriating)
 

ajevans

New Member
Location
Birmingham
I hate it when cars don't overtake when there's plenty of room and nothing coming for miles in front. I know it's far better than the opposite but it annoys me for two reasons:

a) It makes me self-conscious about slowing people down.
;) If someone doesn't have the competence or confidence to perform a simple and safe manouvre, should they really be on the road.
 

Melvil

Guest
What annoys me is the complete and utter falseness of every retail transaction. The bitter smile, the mumbled thanks, the complete 'I don't want to be here' mentality that makes you feel guilty about flippin' coming in to the shop in the first place variety.

I think it's worse in Scotland, too. They hate serving people up here. Whether that means the scots are prouder than the English, or less willing to grin and bear it, remains to be seen.
 

Melvil

Guest
Right, and I know that it shouldn't annoy me and it's usually rubbish working in a shop so fair enough etc etc etc, but it does.
 

Mr Phoebus

New Member
Arch said:
When they leap out of your way, gather all their various children about them, and insist on standing still, while you pass.
I sometimes have to check I haven't got a 'machine gun' mounted on the bike, when they do that.

The last group who did that to me, as I passed I screamed in my best Drill Sergeant voice "STAND AT EASE!" ;)
 

Mr Phoebus

New Member
ajevans said:
I hate it when cars don't overtake when there's plenty of room and nothing coming for miles in front. I know it's far better than the opposite but it annoys me for two reasons:

a) It makes me self-conscious about slowing people down.
:ohmy: If someone doesn't have the competence or confidence to perform a simple and safe manouvre, should they really be on the road.
Seconded.

Have you ever stopped to consider though that they're oggling your arse? ;):tongue::becool:
 

ajevans

New Member
Location
Birmingham
Mr Phoebus;35848][QUOTE=ajevans said:
I hate it when cars don't overtake when there's plenty of room and nothing coming for miles in front. I know it's far better than the opposite but it annoys me for two reasons:

a) It makes me self-conscious about slowing people down.
:ohmy: If someone doesn't have the competence or confidence to perform a simple and safe manouvre, should they really be on the road.
Seconded.

Have you ever stopped to consider though that they're oggling your arse? ;):tongue::becool:[/QUOTE]

Hmmm that is a possibility. A car took ages to overtake me at the weekend, when it finally passed a woman complimented me on my legs as it went past.
 

Tetedelacourse

New Member
Location
Rosyth
Men who ride bikes with short shorts on and anoraks, thus giving the impression that they are naked underneath.
 

simoncc

New Member
When a car completely blocks the narrow gap left between the kerb a car waiting to turn right. Why obstruct the whole road for everyone else just because there isn't room for you to get past?
 

Cycling Naturalist

Legendary Member
Location
Llangollen
Arch said:
I'm sure we all have little irrational niggles we could share...

Mine is like this. You're riding along a bike/pedestrian path, like the riverside path in York, and you're coming up to a family walking ahead of you, or towards you. Either they see you, or you ping your bell to warn them.

Now, all I want is for them to create enough room for me to get through safely - and I'm rarely going very fast. :
Modesty forbids Arch from telling you that she's going like Bradley Wiggins sprinting for gold. ;)
 
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
Melvil said:
Right, and I know that it shouldn't annoy me and it's usually rubbish working in a shop so fair enough etc etc etc, but it does.

No, no, this is a thread for getting these things off your chest.

Yes, working in a shop is pretty crap, I did it for 12 years. But I like to think that, apart from the odd off day, I was as genuine with the customers as I could be, and as polite as I'd expect someone to be with me. So I hate poor manners in a shop too, because I know it's possible to do better.
 

mosschops2

New Member
Location
Nottingham
Tetedelacourse said:
Men who ride bikes with short shorts on and anoraks, thus giving the impression that they are naked underneath.
What??!!! LOL!!! Priceless!!

Do you kind of hope they are, and they're just teasing you???!!;)
 
Top Bottom