1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Yellow Fang, 14 Nov 2017.

1. Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

I went to Dover for an interview this morning. While walking along, I was thinking about the song, The White Cliffs of Dover, made famous by Dame Vera Lynn during that dreadful decade, the 1940s, musically speaking anyway. My grandmother used to sing it to us when we went to visit her. The lyrics used to puzzle me even then. It goes, "There'll be bluebirds over, the white cliffs of Dover, tomorrow, just you wait and see." What are bluebirds? Did she mean blue tits? I didn't think blue tits nested on cliffs. Was there a species of blue seagull? I've never seen one or heard of one, at least not one that was native to Britain. If she had sung, "There'll be white birds over the white cliffs of Dover," it would have made more sense, but then there were white birds flying over the cliffs of Dover during the whole course of the war, so the lyric would have been redundant. I don't suppose the air raids would have bothered them enough to drive them away.

2. Threevok

Threevok Über Member

The Toys R Us advert - mainly the lyrics thereof

For years now, I have been unable to decipher the part that sounds like "there's millions of debris all under one roof"

I know I could Google it, but......

3. stephec

stephec Legendary Member

Probably a bit of poetic licence.

4. Reiver

Reiver Whistling down the hills, tearing up the climbs

Swallows used to be nick named Bluebirds (they look a little blue when the sun catches them) , and always a joy to see them return in the spring - it may have something to do with that ?

• Like Like x 4
  5. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

And the RAF wear blue uniforms.

• Like Like x 4
  7. OP
    OP
    Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

I wondered whether the birds were allegorical, but doves are the symbol of peace and they're white, not blue.

8. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

• Like Like x 2
  9. OP
    OP
    Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

You think blue birds referred to RAF crew?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Asa Post

Asa Post Small lungs, weak legs

Written by an American non-ornithologist: http://www.dover-kent.co.uk/burton.htm

11. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

• Like Like x 2
  12. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

It's a popular theory that I've heard many times, and it would fit the sentiment of the times.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chris S

Chris S Veteran

If the universe is expanding then what's it expanding into? :smile:

• Like Like x 4
  14. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

its always bothered me why the evaporated milk is still there when you open the tin :wacko:

• Like Like x 17
  15. OP
    OP
    Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

Swallows and housemartins, hmm. I have never heard them referred to as blue birds. Do they nest in cliffs? I thought they nested in eaves of houses. Also, they are not really like geese, they just appear and disappear. You don't see streams of them migrating, at least I have not noticed them do so. Still, they're the most plausible candidates so far.