Things that make you put life into perspective

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This morning, my wife was out on a 16 mile run in the very cold conditions and it was icy in places.
She was running up a pavement adjacent to a busy single lane 60mph road (Sandy Lane in Newcastle) and where normally with the ice on the paths, would keep toward the kerb as there's less ice, but as there was a lot of water in the gutter area, she ran further onto the pavement than usual to avoid splash from the vehicles.

About a quarter mile up the road, a transit type van decided to pull out from a junction across to the opposite side in what he felt was a good gap between a car and half loaded car transporter doing about 45.
Subsequently, the transporter 'T'-Boned the van causing its rear end to slew right across swinging onto the path and missing the wife who was running thankfully in the same direction as the van at that time, by about an inch.

Had there been less water on the road, Mrs Tony would have been toward the edge of the path and no doubt about it, in serious contact with the van.

Things like this just put life into respective along with a few "what if" thoughts.

Radchenister

Veteran

Night Train

Maker of Things
This morning, my wife was out on a 16 mile run in the very cold conditions and it was icy in places.
She was running up a pavement adjacent to a busy single lane 60mph road (Sandy Lane in Newcastle) and where normally with the ice on the paths, would keep toward the kerb as there's less ice, but as there was a lot of water in the gutter area, she ran further onto the pavement than usual to avoid splash from the vehicles.

About a quarter mile up the road, a transit type van decided to pull out from a junction across to the opposite side in what he felt was a good gap between a car and half loaded car transporter doing about 45.
Subsequently, the transporter 'T'-Boned the van causing its rear end to slew right across swinging onto the path and missing the wife who was running thankfully in the same direction as the van at that time, by about an inch.

Had there been less water on the road, Mrs Tony would have been toward the edge of the path and no doubt about it, in serious contact with the van.

Things like this just put life into respective along with a few "what if" thoughts.
It just wasn't her day to go. :thumbsup:

Glad she was safe.:smile:

Shaun

Founder
Indeed, glad she (and presumably everyone else) was okay. But yes, these near misses can be very life-affirming. :eek:

Your wife had a lucky escape! hope she is ok and fate was on her side that day. I went into work on overtime and had an accident which I crushed lumber discs , that was 5 years ago and havent worked since! But count myself lucky as I could have not being able to walk again.

Glad to hear your wife is ok.

Sadly, incidents like this illustrate how tenuous our grasp on life is, especially on the road. It only takes a moment's inattention from someone else and your life can end. One of the reasons I never like to part from a friend or a loved one on bad terms, you never know what fate has lined up for you.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Glad to hear Mrs Tony's OK!

Makes you appreciate the important people in your life.

Mind, Sandy Lane is a nasty bit of road and should have been made into a dual carriageway with the amount of traffic it has to deal with at peak times, especially with slow lorries trying to get out of the side junctions... that one by the MOT place is really bad.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Cripes - that's a scary one. Glad she's OK.

BTW "What ifs" are a pointless waste of mental energy. Put them out of your head.

yello

I'm pleased it's only a tale of 'what if'

I'm sure we've all felt the panic of the split second event, followed by the heart pounding recovery and realisation that we're okay... then the stomach sickening thoughts of 'what if'. Yep, makes you look at stuff differently, that's for real.

Top Bottom