Things that snap off in the dark - tell us your best bits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Speaking of darkness...
If you get a p***ure on the way to the pub, your companion will lend you their head torch so you can see your repair.
If it happens on the way from the pub, they'll wear the head torch and spend fifteen minutes arsing about pretending to be a Dalek.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Speaking of darkness...
If you get a p***ure on the way to the pub, your companion will lend you their head torch so you can see your repair.
If it happens on the way from the pub, they'll wear the head torch and spend fifteen minutes arsing about pretending to be a Dalek.

You sure you’re not talking about yourself? 👾

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
how very dare you.jpg

:biggrin:

Roger that! Plus, you can either find a crisp packet (as I did) or buy one.
That means your tyre boot costs 50p and you get some free crisps!
I'm sure chocolate, ice cream or pork pie wrappers would work just as well.
Even a new bike wrapper will do in a pinch, plus FREE BIKE!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Snapped a new chain up on Rooley Moor once, took a chance and rolled down to Rochdale (opposite direction to home) and blagged Halfords to sort it on promise of payment.
I was coming down that descent with a mate once when he snapped his seatpost on hitting a big bump. He came scarily close to having serious 'rim' problems! :laugh:

He removed what was left of the post from the frame and went back up the bridleway to retrieve the saddle and the rest of the post. He had to ride back to Hebden Bridge with the saddle 4 or 5 inches too low.

... I felt up to doing the Cragg Vale climb from Mytholmroyd. That climb is long but has a low gradient only averaging about 3.5% and I was riding slowly so I felt okay until I got about 4kms up it.
I've just remembered another problem on that same stretch of climb... There was a sudden noise from the back of the bike as the chain came loose and got tangled up. The bolt from one of the jockey wheels had fallen out. I soon found the wheel lying on the road but an extensive search failed to locate the bolt so I scooted the bike back down the hill and 3 kms along the valley to home, swapped bikes, and went back out for my cafe rendezvous with mates.

si_c

Guru
Possibly the worst one was hitting a speed bump on my MTB going downhill to jump it and landing on the rear wheel snapping the QR, more than 5 miles from home. When we didn't have a car at the time.

Had a tear in the sidewall of a tire a few years ago about 15miles from home with no tyre boot. I've since started carrying them. And a broken derailleur hanger 20miles from home following an unexpected rapid dismount. Also carry one of those all the time too now.

Broken spokes fixed with electrical tape to the next spoke, and mudguards fixed with zip ties after a bolt fell out. Lots of things but all fixable at the roadside with minimal kit if prepared.

The worst to happen was a broken right chainstay, had to ride the 5 miles home on that one. Really bad handling characteristics.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I was coming down that descent with a mate once when he snapped his seatpost on hitting a big bump. He came scarily close to having serious 'rim' problems! :laugh:

He removed what was left of the post from the frame and went back up the bridleway to retrieve the saddle and the rest of the post. He had to ride back to Hebden Bridge with the saddle 4 or 5 inches too low.

Thats how the Raleigh grifter got invented, which led to BMX.

si_c

Guru
I'm impressed that you could still ride it!

I snapped a crank in Todmorden and rode 7 km home to Hebden Bridge one-legged. It was pretty tiring...
Thankfully it was a flat 5 miles - I doubt I could have ridden it uphill and downhill would have been too terrifying. I was just left pedalling as every time I pushed on the right pedal the whole rear flexed away.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Rear wheel went wobbly on the way home. Luckily it was a fixie with no rear brake, so loads of tyre and rim clearance. Turned out four spokes, along with a chunk of flange, had decided to secede from the hub. Rubbish CNC-machined hub and salted roads.

Top Bottom