Things that you probably didn't know - thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GIOS

GIOS

Questo posto è una bettola!
I know women who wouldn't agree with you! :laugh:

(In fact, I've met one or two who would rather dispose of all of them ...)
A man's penis is not something you dispose like mac and cheese leftovers.

classic33

Leg End Member
:laugh: It's probably the only town in the country where people argue about the pronunciation.:rolleyes:
Slaithwaite

Southwell
Drop the o from south

Nelson is supposed to have said "Kiss me Hardy" as his final utterance before he died.
That is a bit of an odd thing to say and it would make much more sense for him to say "Kismit Hardy". It would be very apt to say it was fate when you had just copped some lead.
But the word kismit had not at that time come into use. So he is back to kissing Hardy.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
:laugh: It's probably the only town in the country where people argue about the pronunciation.:rolleyes:
Slaithwaite
In my pre-GPS days, I was attempting to find my way back from Holme Moss via Slaithwaite. I wasn't sure where I was so I asked a local if we were in 'Slay-th-wait'. He refused to acknowledge that such a place even existed and he had lived in the area since he were a lad. I was puzzled ... I spelt it out - S.l.a.i.t.h.w.a.i.t.e. "Slough-it, lad, it's called Slough-it" (Rhyming with plough-it!) I think the younger generation now pronounce it 'Slath-wait'.

And Barnoldswick is pronounced 'Barlick' by the locals, but AFAIK they don't argue about it!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
If you are in Tewkesbury, the locals say summat like Chucksbry.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Babies can't put their arms over their head to touch the opposite ear*

*until their arms get long enough/unless they were fathered by an orang-utan

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Slaithwaite

Drop the o from south
Southwell
In my pre-GPS days, I was attempting to find my way back from Holme Moss via Slaithwaite. I wasn't sure where I was so I asked a local if we were in 'Slay-th-wait'. He refused to acknowledge that such a place even existed and he had lived in the area since he were a lad. I was puzzled ... I spelt it out - S.l.a.i.t.h.w.a.i.t.e. "Slough-it, lad, it's called Slough-it" (Rhyming with plough-it!) I think the younger generation now pronounce it 'Slath-wait'.

And Barnoldswick is pronounced 'Barlick' by the locals, but AFAIK they don't argue about it!
In London, the locals call it "Laaaaandaaaaan" :smile:
If you are in Tewkesbury, the locals say summat like Chucksbry.
Staines used to be in Surrey, then they moved to Middlesex, then they changed the name to Staines-upon-Thames. The locals call it s***ehole.
Well, I seem to have opened up a can of worms.:whistle:

For the record; historically, residents of the town always pronounced it Shrowsbury and only outsiders said Shrewsbury, however these days a large number in the town say "Shrew" based on the supreme logical argument "it's spelt Shrew, innit".:crazy:

If you want to pass yourself off as a local, call it Salop.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom