Things to see in: Essex or Suffolk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob S

I'm planning a day ride in that area....arriving in Witham by train and want to end up on the train home from Cambridge....the only must goes I have at the mo are Lavenham and Bury St Edmunds.

I'm looking for a short list of charm filled villages to pass through and can anyone tell me if you can see the keep of Castle Hedingham or Ickworth House from the road side?

asterix

Comrade Member
:blush:Lavenham. It's a medieval village founded upon the wool trade and consists of lots of timber framed houses, etc. Oops you already got that one

Pin Mill, a landing point on the River Orwell near Chelmondiston. Not as charming as it used to be but still worth a call IMO. Has a pub, the Butt and Oyster.

Maldon. Lots of sailing barges moored to the quay and traditional boatbuilding.

Bigtallfatbloke

I rode past the turning for Castle headingham but my legs were still strong and I headed home instead of to the youth hostel there...I didnt see any keep...but then again I wasnt looking.

The village of Arkesden north of Bishops stortford is nice...we were house hunting there once and Steve Marriott used to live there. There is also Audley end house if you are into big stately homes etc. Thaxted and Saffron Waldon might be worth a visit.

Places like Chignell St James and around there are pretty residential...nothing special...lot's of bungalows and net curtains and gnomes...well at least that's my impression. The Easters and Rodings are ok. Of course there is always Duxford....great Museum if you are into aircraft and WW2 etc.

I didnt like Haverhill, it's just another town and it has a hill.

Bigtallfatbloke

Steve Marriott of Faces fame and Packet of three infamy! yes..he lived & died there I believe. It's a nice little village, more your rich bastard type of village but very nice never the less.

OP
OP
Rob S

Rob S

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:

Ah see that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, attractive little places that look so insignificant on an OS map....thanks for the link that'll come in very useful.:thumbsup:

I've plotted a ride...pretty much draws itself when you want to start at witham, see Lavenham, Bury St Edmunds and finish in Cambridge....I've thrown Ely and Melford Hall in and the only remaining question remains Castle Hedingham, a bit of a diversion, and from its website seems to be geared towards being a backdrop for weddings, what with it being shut to the public on Saturdays.:smile:

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I would avoid Haverhill like the plague

Second that - you were lucky to get out of there with both wheels still on the bike!

Bury is a nice town. Newmarket? If you're into horsey things. There's a horseracing museum. Again I'd bring a good lock with you if you were going to stop :tongue:

Bigtallfatbloke

Ha...I cycled through Newmarket (along the high street) and didnt even realise it was THE Newmarket of horsey peeps fame...how dumb is that?!

Haverhill is horrible...I think it was there that I recieved my first serious soaking on a bike as I was struggling up that bloody hill fully loaded...there were 3 hitch hikers...I said they could have a lift to the top of the hill if they pushed...the girl thought it was funny but her bloke (s?) just told me to "**** off mate".. nice.

...oh while I think of it Braintree wasnt to impressive either...and whatever you do dont stay at the campsite there..its a refuge tip claiming to be a farm

Top Bottom