Things we used to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They were used on railway lines to tell the driver to stop in the event of signal failure, Iembankment was 3 of them spaced at intervals that meant stop immediately.

EDIT - Linky
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiVs8Cen5DKAhXF_Q4KHTzcCNEQFggdMAA&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detonator_(railway)&usg=AFQjCNH2qkUTT3h8o1woVJjJQba1Yve_Fg

Yes, I think one was for caution, and two were for stop. I think they had an automatic loading system. I was born and lived next to a railway enbankment for 23 years so I got used to all sorts of noises.

Tim Hall

They were used on railway lines to tell the driver to stop in the event of signal failure, I think it was 3 of them spaced at intervals that meant stop immediately.

EDIT - Linky
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiVs8Cen5DKAhXF_Q4KHTzcCNEQFggdMAA&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detonator_(railway)&usg=AFQjCNH2qkUTT3h8o1woVJjJQba1Yve_Fg
Yes, I think one was for caution, and two were for stop. I think they had an automatic loading system. I was born and lived next to a railway enbankment for 23 years so I got used to all sorts of noises.

They're still used. Or at least they were taught about when I did a PTS course five or so years ago. @subaqua probably has the up to date info.

subaqua

What’s the point
They're still used. Or at least they were taught about when I did a PTS course five or so years ago. @subaqua probably has the up to date info.

more likely @The Jogger foir the upto date info . long time since I did my PTS , which reminds me that I must redo it for the WCA works. But I seem to remember they were used for signalling danger for track work , and the driver would vaguely hear.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
We use to have them on our stations up until a few years ago, in the emergency equipment along with a spare drivers key and red, green flags etc.
The dets are normally placed beyond the boundary of a possession ( on the running rails). This is an area of works on the railway. To ensure no trains would accidentally enter the possession were engineers are out on the track. Basically once they went off it would alert the driver to stop.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My friend and I did a similar thing in the 60's. He was older than me and his dad worked on the railway. He came up with a circular object the size of a small tin of pellets. " Shall we set this off". He said .
" Yes, what is it?" I replied not having a clue.
" It's a detonator "
Still none the wiser. Anyway one hit with a sledge hammer only flattened it, but the second one did it. One almighty loud bang, nothing but white powder where this thing used to be. A very loud ringing in our ears and the two of us rolling around laughing our heads off. Our older brothers had come rushing down from the top of the field to see what had happened, only to find two loonies still laughing.

Two friends and I removed a cannister of detonators from the cab of of a class 08 shunter parked up in Darlington diesel depot and made our way to a natural amphitheatre of waste ground surrounded by houses. We knew what they were and how they were used what we didn't know how loud the bang was. I put one of the detonators on a piece of concrete and we took turns to throw half bricks and bits of rock at it with no effect other than to dent it. We persevered and one strike struck lucky. There was a cloud of smoke, no trace of the detonator and a god almighty bang which rattled windows, made dogs bark and howl and had us running around in circles one of member was hopping as the detonator case hit her in the leg. We found ourselves encircled by the house inhabitants who blocked off our escape route and held us until the police arrived.

We told huge porkies and all of us claimed that we'd found the cannister in the bushes on the waste ground. We were delivered home by the police for unnatural justice to take place - our parents believed the police rather than us and we were all grounded. Some 'magistrates' were more draconian that others. :cry:

midlife

Guru
Aside from liberating detonators, when we played on railway lines we used to put pennies on the track to flatten them.

Looking back on it I guess it was quite dangerous.....

Shaun

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
On the railway theme, I was once told that spitting on the track made trains skid. Quite a few times the gang that I was in spat ourselves dry 'lubricating' 20-30 feet of rails and standing back from the tracks waiting for the trains to skid.

What a waste of saliva....

The things we did when we were young!

Top Bottom