Things you do not see everyday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Whilst out and about yesterday I saw some Falconers they were using the birds to see off pigeons on the apartment block at the end of Kew Bridge, they travel from Cambridge regularly to London to do this work

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I saw them doing a similar job at one of the apartment developments near Hammersmith Bridge a couple of years ago.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
They are actually Harris Hawks, the female was much larger than the male , the pigeons were very watchful and scarpered as soon as the large Hawk was released , the Hawk did not give chase though , very well trained

They are actually Harris Hawks, the female was much larger than the male , the pigeons were very watchful and scarpered as soon as the large Hawk was released , the Hawk did not give chase though , very well trained

They didn't give chase because they'd have no chance....

My wife and I used to fly Harris Hawks and they are gregarious ground game hunters and whilst any bird will fly off at the sight of them, a Harris will almost never give chase unless it's an over ambitious youngster. Pigeons are the equivalent of a high speed, long distance GT car, even the manky street pigeons are quick enough.

But it's great to see them being used in a functional way, keeper and bird benefit, not forgetting the streets they are clearing of the pigeons.

Bet it was a great spectacle to see.

DRHysted

Guru
We have a firm come into work with a hawk to try to scare away the pigeons. The hawk looks magnificent, however half an hour after they leave the pigeons return.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
They didn't give chase because they'd have no chance....

My wife and I used to fly Harris Hawks and they are gregarious ground game hunters and whilst any bird will fly off at the sight of them, a Harris will almost never give chase unless it's an over ambitious youngster. Pigeons are the equivalent of a high speed, long distance GT car, even the manky street pigeons are quick enough.

But it's great to see them being used in a functional way, keeper and bird benefit, not forgetting the streets they are clearing of the pigeons.

Bet it was a great spectacle to see.

As an after thought it did cross my mind if the Hawks would be able to out manoeuvre or fast enough or both to actually nab the Pigeons, you’ve answered my question , the handler did say that the Pigeons were there only because of the Starbucks outside tables being a source of food , it was good to watch something I’ve ever only seen on the telly , a use of a medieval skills in our modern society , and a humane deterrent to those pesky pigeons.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
So much better than an electronic bird distress call system that was used at a grain warehouse I used to occasionally visit for work.

Top Bottom