Things you'd like inventing that haven't been invented yet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
With the current ice and snow weather problems, how about something similar to one of those tyre stingers used by the police to stop cars, but made wider to walk on, with the spikes pointing down not up and made shorter to grip the ice. This would be useful when attempting to cross icy roads. Simply throw the device, stop when you've reached the end of the device, then repeat the process. 🤔

Alex321

Veteran
With the current ice and snow weather problems, how about something similar to one of those tyre stingers used by the police to stop cars, but made wider to walk on, with the spikes pointing down not up and made shorter to grip the ice. This would be useful when attempting to cross icy roads. Simply throw the device, stop when you've reached the end of the device, then repeat the process. 🤔

There are already spiky things you canfit to your shoes/boots to walk in those conditions. I have a set for when I go skiing, though I've rarely actually found the need to use them, given how good they are in those paces at keeping the roads and pavements clear.

Something similar to these https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/manbi-safe-step-ice-grips-winter-non-slip-snow-spikes

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
There are already spiky things you canfit to your shoes/boots to walk in those conditions. I have a set for when I go skiing, though I've rarely actually found the need to use them, given how good they are in those paces at keeping the roads and pavements clear.

Something similar to these https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/manbi-safe-step-ice-grips-winter-non-slip-snow-spikes

i have some of those... bloody awful to walk in. Cleats would be more comfortable.

I want a set of retractable spikes built into the soles of my shoes, with a toe switch so i can deploy and retract them when needed.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Slightly practical, a microwave freezer.
I know the physics and the laws of thermodynamics. But you can always hope.
Funnily enough, I was reminded in another thread earlier today that microwaves are good for UNfreezing... :whistle:

For some reason, I had forgotten that and have been thawing my frozen curry portions in bowls of warm water!

Gwylan

Veteran
Funnily enough, I was reminded in another thread earlier today that microwaves are good for UNfreezing... :whistle:

For some reason, I had forgotten that and have been thawing my frozen curry portions in bowls of warm water!

Oh dear me. Our microwave has a set of programmes for defrosting.
My wife just cannot work this out!
And blasts things with 750 watts and wonders why the food is ruined

At this point, foolishly, I suggest that she might read the instructions. How dumb can I be?

Gwylan

Veteran
You mean something like these?

My wife had those.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

The top ones are more for mountaineering and the bottom ones are cheap and not very good I'd say. I've had the same as the bottom ones and after a few wears a few of the spikes/studs fell off. This is quite a few years ago when I was more steady on my feet. I definitely would not like to walk in those now. I'd feel safer with my un-invented invention, as I'd be walking on a grippy, rubber platform, not ice and you wouldn't have the hassle of keep having to take those shoe grips off every time you drove your car or walked on non icy surfaces. Maybe I've given too much away and someone reading this will one day be on Dragon's Den, with MY idea!:unsure: By the way, my invention is based on short moves across ice, not for long journeys as that'd take so long. It's intended for icy patches such as the dangerous grassed area to car move I unsuccessfully attempted the other day, to get to my car across a very icy narrow road.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
The top ones are more for mountaineering and the bottom ones are cheap and not very good I'd say. I've had the same as the bottom ones and after a few wears a few of the spikes/studs fell off. This is quite a few years ago when I was more steady on my feet. I definitely would not like to walk in those now. I'd feel safer with my un-invented invention, as I'd be walking on a grippy, rubber platform, not ice and you wouldn't have the hassle of keep having to take those shoe grips off every time you drove your car or walked on non icy surfaces. Maybe I've given too much away and someone reading this will one day be on Dragon's Den, with MY idea!:unsure: By the way, my invention is based on short moves across ice, not for long journeys as that'd take so long. It's intended for icy patches such as the dangerous grassed area to car move I unsuccessfully attempted the other day, to get to my car across a very icy narrow road.

I think picking the thing up behind you and then throwing it out again in front of you is a LOT more hassle than taking the shoe grips on and off when you get in your car.

And the ones I have, which are similar to the ones I linked to, get used for walking around icy pavements and car parks in ski resorts. I've never used them away from paving. I don't think they are intended for mountaineering at all - for that you want sturdier crampons.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think picking the thing up behind you and then throwing it out again in front of you is a LOT more hassle than taking the shoe grips on and off when you get in your car.

And the ones I have, which are similar to the ones I linked to, get used for walking around icy pavements and car parks in ski resorts. I've never used them away from paving. I don't think they are intended for mountaineering at all - for that you want sturdier crampons.

My invention is meant for short/small ice patches, not lengthy ones. Therefore you'd only throw it the once to get over the ice problem. No, I meant these, suggested by @Bazzer

adult-snow-shoes-sh900-s-to-xl.jpg

Jameshow

Veteran
I've thought if a few dragons den ideas over the years ....

A portable hose powered car wash based on two plates each with a column of brushes which you drive your car / van through. Didn't get as far as sorting out washing the roof.

Second one.

Was a massive machine that would dig up the middle of a motorway removing the Armco and replacing it with concrete barriers.

Another similar one could do the hard shoulders so as to remove the need for miles and miles if 50mph roadworks.....

I'm sure the Chinese already have such a machine!!!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
While out walking in Accrington town centre yesterday I needed a pee. I was quite a walk from the nearest toilet and I didn't fancy going there anyway, as it's quote...a smack head hangout place.:unsure: Anyway, I nipped into a shop where I know the owner and asked if I could use their toilet, so he let me. This made me think about a portable privacy screen urinal. You'd simply unfold this tent like contraption, stand in it then lift it up to head height, then use a bottle to pee in. The screen would be a fluorescent colour so no one would accidentally walk into it and it would probably have a WARNING PLEASE DO NOT ENTER. PERSON INSIDE IS HAVING A BODILY FUNCTION sign on all four sides. I realise this could be difficult for females and the disabled, so this is more for able bodied males, but I still think it could be a seller. 🤔

Top Bottom