Things you'd like inventing that haven't been invented yet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
Climate control clothing, keeps your body temperature just right.

An end to death?
I want my black forest gateau/gateaux and eat it too.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Something akin to headphones, whereby instead of dictating or typing, reports, letters etc., could be quickly converted to text from simply constructing the sentences in my brain and if necessary move them around, without the need to speak them.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
An accelerator-driven sub-critical nuclear power plant for ship propulsion and national grid top-up power when renewables are inactive.
  • The efficacy of sub-critical nuclear power has already been demonstrated.
  • Sub-critical power units can use the existing stockpile of nuclear waste as fuel, rendering it far less toxic in the process.
  • Accelerator-driven sub-critical power can be turned on and switched off at will making Chernobyl- and Fukushima-type incidents inconceivable.
  • There is no practical route to nuclear weapons from sub-critical power production.
  • Merchant shipping is a major source of CO₂ and particulate pollution, both of which are eradicated by this power source.
  • The failure of governments to complete the development and invention of this power source implies an underlying desire to retain nuclear weapons capacity at the expense of safer nuclear power.

More detail here: https://www.world-nuclear.org/infor...ration/accelerator-driven-nuclear-energy.aspx

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
An accelerator-driven sub-critical nuclear power plant for ship propulsion and national grid top-up power when renewables are inactive.
  • The efficacy of sub-critical nuclear power has already been demonstrated.
  • Sub-critical power units can use the existing stockpile of nuclear waste as fuel, rendering it far less toxic in the process.
  • Accelerator-driven sub-critical power can be turned on and switched off at will making Chernobyl- and Fukushima-type incidents inconceivable.
  • There is no practical route to nuclear weapons from sub-critical power production.
  • Merchant shipping is a major source of CO₂ and particulate pollution, both of which are eradicated by this power source.
  • The failure of governments to complete the development and invention of this power source implies an underlying desire to retain nuclear weapons capacity at the expense of safer nuclear power.

More detail here: https://www.world-nuclear.org/infor...ration/accelerator-driven-nuclear-energy.aspx
Haven't read the linky but what of dirty bombs made up from the nuclear waste. A terrorist's or blackmailer's dream?

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Something akin to headphones, whereby instead of dictating or typing, reports, letters etc., could be quickly converted to text from simply constructing the sentences in my brain and if necessary move them around, without the need to speak them.

That's probably closer than you think, no pun intended. Facebook have probably got a patent on it already.

Edit: Bloody hell, I was only joking.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...ain-machine-interface-neuralink-a9028801.html

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd like :-
Geography and/or geometry that puts all hills into the correct (downwards) direction.
A means to invest in the stock market a year ago, based on what I know today. See also National Lottery.
Inoculations against weight gain.
The ability to switch gender at will. This might be a surprise for my partner...
Transporters, replicators and Star Trek tech in general.
A retrospective cure for cancer so I can see my Dad again. This would also require a cure for cremation, so a little bit tricky.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Haven't read the linky but what of dirty bombs made up from the nuclear waste. A terrorist's or blackmailer's dream?
This is indeed a danger but if you put yourself in the terrorists' shoes the waste from sub-critical plants is not really dirty enough for your purposes. The danger here would be from a sub-critical plant which was using waste from a critical plant as fuel, having its fuel stolen. After use, the fuel would be even more degraded and less interesting to terrorists. The spent fuel danger for dirty bombs is principally a problem for existing critical plants. A greater danger than terrorists is probably rogue states trying to re-engineer sub-critical fuels into uranium compounds. Discussion of this danger here: https://www.nature.com/articles/492031a
However, it is almost certainly far easier for a rogue state to go down the Iranian-style conventional nuclear pathway than to be reliant on sub-critical fuels as a weapons input source.

Of course, using existing nuclear waste as a fuel should, over time, become obsolete. When sub-critical nuclear becomes the norm it would be hoped that all the waste would be reprocessed and current critical stations would not be renewed at the end of their lives. The spent sub-critical fuel would still be radio-active and need protected storage but it would be many magnitudes less dangerous than current nuclear waste.

Other than existing waste, the main candidate for fuel in sub-critical plants is thorium. This is a naturally occurring mineral with deposits in many parts of the world. There is probably enough thorium in Scotland and Wales to provide all the UK's needs. Having said that, thorium is currently produced as a by-product of mining for other minerals in several parts of the world, so there may well be supplies, even ready stocks, available more cheaply on the world market. The UK's most probable supplier is likely to be Scandinavia. Unused thorium fuel would be useless as a component of dirty bombs.

More about thorium here: https://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/current-and-future-generation/thorium.aspx

Keep informed. In a world serious about tackling climate change, sub-critical nuclear is bound to play a role.

Top Bottom