Things you're always being asked about cycling/your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Former colleagues never did believe that I'd ride 10 miles each way to work but my funniest was near Bedwyn in Wiltshire. I was chatting with a couple of walkers who asked where I was riding to. When I told them I was riding back to Windsor (about 55 miles), they asked where I was stopping for the night.

markg0vbr

Über Member
you should try riding a handbike 6miles each way i get
  • How much did you pay for it?
  • How many gears has it got?
  • is it comfortable laying down?
  • can people see you?
  • how do you steer it?
  • how fast dose it go?
  • did you make it?
comments i get range from moving cars
"get a proper bike"
"get off the f*&^g road"
"f*&^g spaz"
"historical laughter, very artificial and forced" normally fat women for some reason?
then
"can i have a go"
"i want one"

i had one bloke at the photocopier get quite heated* apparently it is physically impossible for a man with one leg shorter than the other with a hip full of mettle bolts to do ten miles on a hand bike then do then 30 miles on a recumbent trike five days a week.
he eventually believed me when my friend came up and said "yep i see him all the time and he rides 40miles on a Saturday to meet up with his motorbike club friends as well"
*he seemed to be really angry about it and for the life of me i cant understand why?

BikeCurious

Über Member
"Why isn't there any tread on your tyres? You'll have an accident!"I explain that tread patterns aren't required on bike types due to no risk of aquaplaning... they don't get it."Why have you only got one brake? Couldn't you afford two? Ha ha ha"I explain it's a fixed gear bike and I slow the back wheel through the pedals... they look at me like I'm made and walk off.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Whilst walking down the corridor at work the other day while wearing hi viz jacket, tights, helmet.

'oh are you on a bike today?'.

I said..

'no, it's just that I love dressing up like this.. I feel kinda seeeexxxxxyyyyy'.

She walked away really quickly.

Strick

main car garage in oundle
Ahh, we dont go out that far, so wont have dealt with you then.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
you should try riding a handbike 6miles each way i get
  • How much did you pay for it?
  • How many gears has it got?
  • is it comfortable laying down?
  • can people see you?
  • how do you steer it?
  • how fast dose it go?
  • did you make it?
These actually seem like sensible questions to me - never having seen a hand bike close up.

i had one bloke at the photocopier get quite heated* apparently it is physically impossible for a man with one leg shorter than the other with a hip full of mettle bolts to do ten miles on a hand bike then do then 30 miles on a recumbent trike five days a week.

*Jealousy?

Bicycle

I used to work in Sarajevo and cycled in to my office from an eastern suburb.

Every time he saw me setting off on my bicycle, a neighbour would yell across from his balcony "Still saving up?"

He figured that if I could have bought a car, I'd be driving. It became his standard morning greeting to me.

He was a really good guy and his wife cleaned and ironed for me. We had many a coffee on each other's balconies.

He just never got his head round the idea that I might want to ride; he always saw it as some sort of enforced economy measure.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Recently I have been asked quite a few time "You won't be cycling in the snow?" the dissapointing thing is that it is said almost gleefully.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
"Hello spiderman", Me "Hah, it's Spiderman or Sonic usually"

Next day, same person - "Ah see you've got dressed now?" (All in jest).

Saddle comments are regular.

Snow comments are funny - 'look of horror' but they all know about the spiked tyres now.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The one that makes me laugh the most is the amount of folk at the gym that ask why I'd cycle there.:wacko:
Do they take the escalator up from the car park ...? ;)

america-fitness-s.jpg

Top Bottom