Think FAST!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
What the....
Lights_zpsdqpaklix.jpg

Sure, from the soft seat in front in front of a PC, we can all figure out what is happening here (cant we?) but whilst observing cars, lorries, cycles, motorcycles, mobility scooters, HGV's and pedestrians...the traffic through this junction often slows to a crawl while road users try to figure it all out.

perhaps that's the plan?

RED lights, GREEN Lights NO ENTRY signs, this one has it all going on.

Do junctions really have to be this confusing?

EDIT, its somehow worse in real life as the red LED lights are so bright, they seem to overshadow the green arrows, almost blinding them from sight.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
That is confusing. The conventional arrangement of a traffic light for such a situation would be different. Having to learn to interpret different traffic light designs at each junction is ridiculous !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Although I do agree with you it looks confusing, in the real world, having to do that that junction every morning on my commute I've have never found it confusing or a problem. From that pic also you cant really see the layout of the road properly showing the right hand lane has no choice but to turn right unless they have to cut back left to avoid the traffic island, and I've never seen any one do that. The lights are easy enough to understand imo and I always take primary all the way through to the other side of the bridge.

It's a bit messy, but easy to deal with, especially as it has a nice big ASL at the junction.

What does @Nocode think?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Although I do agree with you it looks confusing, in the real world, having to do that that junction every morning on my commute I've have never found it confusing or a problem. From that pic also you cant really see the layout of the road properly showing the right hand lane has no choice but to turn right unless they have to cut back left to avoid the traffic island, and I've never seen any one do that. The lights are easy enough to understand imo and I always take primary all the way through to the other side of the bridge.

It's a bit messy, but easy to deal with.

What does @Nocode think?
do you know what though, I've never gone through this and had to stop? not once.(since they changed it) yet I always stop...always ..on the opposite side.

the first time I went through (after they had changed it) it threw me a little but now I just look for confirmation that the green arrow is lit and...as you prep for taking primary through he pinch point under the bridge.

But convention is for the right turn to have a filter, not the main carriage way. Especially as the main carriage way is almost constantly on green.I don't know why they changed convention for this junction.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I seem to get stopped at that ASL quite a bit. (I know for a fact I did today) (When I was stopped there another time, during that time the cops were pulling cyclists up for no reason - a PCSO tried to flag me down but I buggered off saying 'sorry I'm late'). I think I also do go through there much later then you so perhaps they change the sequence during the day.

And yes, you're right about the right hand filter - or lack of one.
But, I've never seen any problem or confusion from anybody during the morning rush hour. As I said, I think it looks a lot worse in the picture then it actually is.

Nocode

Yeah, I agree - it looks far worse than it usually is - I have no issues with it and go through there everyday but I'm probably used to it by now. I also tend to head through there early-ish (around 7am) so traffic is probably less of an issue.

However, it's always fun when you then add a Tesco lorry unloading into the mix. It usually parks up just in front and to the left of where that dark blue van in front is.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I made a note to have a good look at this junction this morning. However lights were green with traffic behind me so had to scoot through.
Once thing I did notice is that your right @jonny jeez about the brightness of the red light. It is rather dazzling compared to the green arrow one.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Especially in the rain...like today

Indeed.
I did actually get beeped (well, two of us - myself and a fellow commuter who I see regular) going through the pinch point and under the bridge. Absolutely no point in beeping. They aren't getting anywhere with us in front and as per usual the traffic was backed up further up the road anyway.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I find this confusing. If the no entry sign was removed it would make sense. Or change the green arrows so traffic can only go right and that would make sense.

Is traffic allowed to go straight ahead or has the no entry sign been swing round and it applies to the road on the left?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I find this confusing. If the no entry sign was removed it would make sense. Or change the green arrows so traffic can only go right and that would make sense.

Is traffic allowed to go straight ahead or has the no entry sign been swing round and it applies to the road on the left?

Traffic emerges from the left turn (one way). It should be pointing to the right, to the junction opposite with traffic emerging from there.
It's been turned round.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Dragging up this old thread.
I forgot to mention that before Christmas, the powers that be correctly repositioned the no entry sign to face the correct way (as it was when it was first installed).

martint235

Dog on a bike
Is this the junction before Molesworth St? If it is, it's changed massively since I was last through it: not just the road layout but the buildings too.

Top Bottom