Think I need a Headrest (on the bike!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Falco Frank

Über Member
Sorry, funny old nightshift!

Only thing that seemed to let me down was a stiff & uncomfortable neck during my last ride.

Pretty sure the seat base is only fibreglass so not that strong, thinking of a plate of some sort to place under the seat pad and use body weight to keep in place???

Ideas pretty please (photo to assist)...
OL4 (2).jpg

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Caution:
  • I found balancing a lot harder with a headrest. Your head is a heavy articulated lump, far from the centre of gravity. Micro adjustments go a long way towards countering steering issues. When I anchor mine on a headrest, I fall off my bike.
  • Conventional recumbent headrests are more a 'neck rest'. Just something to rest the lip of your helmet or nape of your neck against. They don't seem to extend beyond the external occipital protuberance.
  • It may be more to do with tension in your upper body. If you're pulling upwards, trying to improve the view over your knees, that'll tire your neck and shoulders pretty quickly. Try to treat it more like a car than a bike, perhaps. In a car, you accept that the dash, bonnet, and coachwork prevent you from seeing the ground anywhere near you. On an upright, you're accustomed to an unfettered view of the road. A recumbent is half way between both. You can see the floor beside you and around you, but you have to wriggle / steer around a little to do it. Nothing pops up under your wheels. It all tends to start in the distance and travels at your closing speed.

Top Bottom