Think I'll take the bike back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu9

And get a refund, the Triban 5, think I'll stick to the mtb with rd tyres for now, I was reading decathlon's return policy and you 30 days or 90 with their card (which I've got) I won't leave it even 30 though, I'll take it this weekend. If later on in the year or next year even, I decide to get one (a rd bike) then maybe, see what happens

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not everyone get's on with road bikes. Just one of those things. A good friend of mine is also struggling with her first foray into road bikes.

OP
OP
S

Stu9

I know, I had one years ago, but I was alot younger plus where I lived there was hardly any traffic, I know someone said the other day, because I had the motorbike I should used the rds on 2 wheels, but it's a diffirent ball on these, a twist of the throttle and you're gone (well on a bandit 1200 you are). I'll seriously think about between now and the weekend, but if I feel the sme, I'll take it back and concentrate on the other one and get some use out it

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'll never forget my first time on a fairly lightweight aluminium road bike! The feel that i was cutting through the air and gliding along with minimum contact with the road was heaven compared to that cluncking motorbike without an engine! Stick with the Triban,maybe it's the drop handlebars that put you off a road bike but when you get used to them you'll appreciate how superior they are to flat uns!!;)

OP
OP
S

Stu9

Stick with the Triban,maybe it's the drop handlebars that put you off a road bike but when you get used to them you'll appreciate how superior they are to flat uns!!;)

I know, but I've been on it twice since getting it because of weather and others things....I'd go out in the rain, but the look of the tyres scare the crap out me, as they're the same width (or narrower) than my thumbs....and I've not the biggest either!

What do you mean superior to flat uns?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I know, but I've been on it twice since getting it because of weather and others things....I'd go out in the rain, but the look of the tyres scare the crap out me, as they're the same width (or narrower) than my thumbs....and I've not the biggest either!

What do you mean superior to flat uns?

Drops offer around 6 different positions for your hands,allowing you to leisurely sit up and take in the sights, or crouch down and fly down that steep hill! With drops you can do what you do with flats but a lot more as well, and to me they give off a "I'm a serious cyclist mr motorist so don't mess", compared to someone wobbling along in a sat up position looking like they are vulnerable!
If the bike and tyres scare you then try and get used to them on a safe flat surface,then gradually build up trying out some slight hills on quiet roads. Supermarket car parks when they're quiet or better still when the store is shut,are nice and flat allowing you to do laps while realizing that you are just as likely to fall off a bike with chunky tyres as you are on a thin tyred machine! Start again,but this time do it slowly and gradually and this time next year you'll be a roadie looking down your nose at those folk on motorbikes without an engine!!:headshake:;)

I wouldn't be too hasty. I think you made the right decision to go for a road bike. When I first got one I felt really awkward, it felt twitchy, now I wouldn't choose any other bike. Much more hand/ body positions as described above and more responsive than other bikes IMO. I find the transition from a more compact position to sitting up right very effective in catching drivers attention. I've also found over time its tyres to be much more reliable than my initial preconceptions; judging by my experience on road bike/hybrids/mtb's, I think the weight distribution on the road bike offer more road holding.

but the look of the tyres scare the crap out me, as they're the same width (or narrower) than my thumbs....and I've not the biggest either!

I know exactly what you mean. I've only been cycling for a few months and I'm guilty of over thinking it ....

The tyres are narrow
What if they slip on the gravel
What if it's wet / dry / windy / sunny

I'm beginning to learn just to enjoy it. If you can make your way to Larkhall for 9 on a Sunday you'd be looked after.

It may not be for you but it's a shame if you don't get the chance to give it a proper try.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
It took me a fair few miles to get used to my road bike, take your time and regularly get out on it and you will soon get used to it. If I was you I would use as much of those 90 days as you can, you may surprise yourself.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
maybe it's the drop handlebars that put you off a road bike but when you get used to them you'll appreciate how superior they are to flat uns!!;)

I'm afraid I have to disagree about the superiority of drops over flat bars. I rode drops as a teenager and have had my road bike about 18 months and covered close to 1.2k but I still don't feel good when down on the drops. I ride almost exclusively on the hoods and sometimes alternate to the bar tops. I find the flat bars of my hybrid with some stubby bar ends give me as much comfort, control and variety of positions as I need including a stretched out tuck when I hold onto the points of the bar ends.

Don't feel daft for not liking a drop bar. Horses for courses etc and everyone is different.

OP
OP
S

Stu9

I know exactly what you mean. I've only been cycling for a few months and I'm guilty of over thinking it ....

The tyres are narrow
What if they slip on the gravel
What if it's wet / dry / windy / sunny

I'm beginning to learn just to enjoy it. If you can make your way to Larkhall for 9 on a Sunday you'd be looked after.

It may not be for you but it's a shame if you don't get the chance to give it a proper try.

So you were the same as regards tyres.....scary thin, but I guess they must do the job, unless you act the arse.

I know you're talking about a run on Sunday, where do you go and how many...I probably wouldnt be able to keep the pace

It took me a fair few miles to get used to my road bike, take your time and regularly get out on it and you will soon get used to it. If I was you I would use as much of those 90 days as you can, you may surprise yourself.

I'd be the same, it's the getting out on it regular, the weather's holding me back, plus if if I'm out in the wet and come off, there's no chance of a refund then

OP
OP
S

Stu9

Sorry for bringing this post up again...but after reading the posts about asaults, folk getting knocked of ect ect, I honestly dont think I'll bother going on the rds, I'll stick to tracks, or if i do, it'll be early or late and on rds where there's dam near no one.

It's bloody frightnening the sh*t that's going on, I was shocked when i spoke to 2 mates about going on the rds...they said "I bloody hate cyclists, hold you up, they're just a pita" :headshake: .....and they both have mtb's but dont go on the rds

Col5632

Guru
Sounds to me like your over thinking things, do some miles on the bike on the road and see how you get on, IMO your more likely to bump into some nasty person on a track than you are on the road, if you ride on the road correctly and in a position where you can be seen then i think you will be just fine, seems like you are giving up before you have gave it a chance.

Sorry for bringing this post up again...but after reading the posts about asaults, folk getting knocked of ect ect, I honestly dont think I'll bother going on the rds, I'll stick to tracks, or if i do, it'll be early or late and on rds where there's dam near no one.

It's bloody frightnening the sh*t that's going on, I was shocked when i spoke to 2 mates about going on the rds...they said "I bloody hate cyclists, hold you up, they're just a pita" :headshake: .....and they both have mtb's but dont go on the rds
I wouldnt take on board everthing you read, you've probably heard the old saying 'no news is good news' folk natrually tend to report the negative as it tends to be more interesting than the ordinary 99.999% of ride where nothing happens).

Top Bottom