Thinking about a tattoo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
When I was young matelot, I got some tattoos. It was the 1980s, before tattoos became as commonplace as they are now and they were very much the traditional sailor type - heraldry and sailing ships on upper arms kind of thing. Very unfashionable nowadays but I like them.

Well, I don't like the one on my back but I can't see that :laugh:

Anyhoo, I've been contemplating getting another one on my forearm/wrist. Partly to cover up a scar from when I did something incredibly stupid many years ago. My wife says the scar isn't noticeable but I see it and I'm embarassed by it. I'd also like to put a wee phrase - something I try to live by, but for me to see, not other people.

I wouldn't have considered a tattoo before but I see more and more men in mid-senior management roles like I'm in now with tattoos and it seems more socally acceptable these days. Or am I kidding myself and tattoos are actually not a good idea for anyone wanting to be taken seriously in business?

Fintious

Each to their own isn’t it? If you want one, get one and it doesn’t matter what people think and like you say they are very popular now for all sorts of folk. I personally can’t stand them and I think looking at the same thing on my arm everyday would be like wearing the same T-shirt everyday - but that’s just me

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Acceptance of tattoos and other body art has changed hugely in the 25 years I have been working.
It would be very odd for anyone with a tattoo in a covered area of the body to get discriminated against, but I’m sure it happens in some work places.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I love tattoos but don't have any. I say go for it, we only get one life. I'm not sure you're going to get turned down from a job because of it, unless it's on the face maybe. Are people even allowed to discriminate that way these days?

I may never get one because it takes me ages to decide between two brands of mango chutney, so something like a tattoo would cause years of decision making probably!

Dolorous Edd

You have a choice

a) the certainty of continuing to be bothered by your scar
b) a risk that a few people might be bothered by a tattoo (probably a small risk if your work environment is laid back enough to accept short sleeved shirts at work)

Does that help?

I'd also like to put a wee phrase

Forget the wee phrase, how about a wee image?

Or maybe I’m just taking the pis.

Why not go for a small profound philosophical sentence in gaelic, sanskrit or another lesser-known language?
If I wasn’t a wimp (don’t like pain) nor being averse to having a permanent marker of identification, I’d have something in hindi, something like this:

AndyRM

XOXO
Forget the wee phrase, how about a wee image?

View attachment 612721

Or maybe I’m just taking the pis.

Why not go for a small profound philosophical sentence in gaelic, sanskrit or another lesser-known language?
If I wasn’t a wimp (don’t like pain) nor being averse to having a permanent marker of identification, I’d have something in hindi, something like this:

View attachment 612724

What does that say, do you know? It looks cool.

I have runes on my knuckles.

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Thanks all. I suppose I have the option of wearing a long-sleeve shirt if I have to.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of this, with the wording "Be a better man"

What does that say, do you know? It looks cool.

I have runes on my knuckles.
No, sorry, don’t know. It’s just a random image on google.

However, I did see, and like, this notice I saw a few years ago in the toilet in one of my favourite beach bars.

I asked my friend, the barman, to translate and he just butst out laughing.
Basically it translates as ‘Please don’t stand on the toilet whilst having a dump.’ 😳😅

Top Bottom