Thinking about a tattoo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
No, sorry, don’t know. It’s just a random image on google.

However, I did see, and like, this notice I saw a few years ago in the toilet in one of my favourite beach bars.

View attachment 612729
I asked my friend, the barman, to translate and he just butst out laughing.
Basically it translates as ‘Please don’t stand on the toilet whilst having a dump.’ 😳😅

I did like, 2 months of research into my rune tattoos to make sure I wasn't getting "Odin blows goats" on there.

I wonder how many people are wandering around with "Egg fried rice" tattooed on them.

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
A guy got this QR code as a tattoo

pvg32l8s1oc31.png

If you scan it, you get this -

View: https://youtu.be/iik25wqIuFo

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I got a new tattoo a few weeks ago. I have two scrabble tiles covering up a really shitty old from decades ago on my shoulder, a nice simple one on my right ankle, and now a new one on my left calf.

Covering up scars with tattoos is an interesting thing. Is 'Be a better man' an instruction to you or others?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Thanks all. I suppose I have the option of wearing a long-sleeve shirt if I have to.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of this, with the wording "Be a better man"

View attachment 612727
Why not just say to yourself regularly, "be a better man".

Why does it need to be inked onto you, will you forget that maxim otherwise? Not a criticism of the idea, I just always wonder why people need to have their motto inscribed on them. Nobody else will read it, and if it's dear to you then you know it already.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
When I was young matelot, I got some tattoos. It was the 1980s, before tattoos became as commonplace as they are now and they were very much the traditional sailor type - heraldry and sailing ships on upper arms kind of thing. Very unfashionable nowadays but I like them.

Well, I don't like the one on my back but I can't see that :laugh:

Anyhoo, I've been contemplating getting another one on my forearm/wrist. Partly to cover up a scar from when I did something incredibly stupid many years ago. My wife says the scar isn't noticeable but I see it and I'm embarassed by it. I'd also like to put a wee phrase - something I try to live by, but for me to see, not other people.

I wouldn't have considered a tattoo before but I see more and more men in mid-senior management roles like I'm in now with tattoos and it seems more socally acceptable these days. Or am I kidding myself and tattoos are actually not a good idea for anyone wanting to be taken seriously in business?
Your body, your choice.

But people change hairstyle, clothing, makeup and even the decor of their house every few years because fashion changes.
Easy to redo those things. Not so easy with a tattoo.

You've already said your existing tattoos are "very unfashionable" and that you don't like one of them. Not wise to add another if you have doubts. At least scars fade.

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The tattoo I regret was one of those I got on impulse based on a picture in a tattoo shop window. I was 18 or so and probably not entirely sober. It doesn't have any meaning or relevance to me in particular.

The one I'm thinking about now (and have been for some time) has particular meaning. For most of my life I wasn't a nice guy and hurt people around me - partners, friends, family and so on but about 10 years ago I swore I would change and I try to be a better husband, colleague, friend, father, son, grandfather every day - a better man. But it's not always easy because I still have a quick temper, I still hold grudges, I still sometimes speak first and regret later so the slogan "be a better man" is the touchstone that makes me consider what I say and do. Having it visible will reinforce it. If it makes me a better person to be around well, hey, what's the harm?

As to the scar fading - it's been 30 years and I still see it all the time. Sometimes people I work with see it and I see them look at me differently. I don't like it.

My question wasn't so much about justifying the tattoo - although some of the comments here have maybe helped me crystalise my thinking - it was to do with the social acceptability of tattoos in the professional workplace. I will be able to cover it up should I need to, but I'm not so sure people need to any more.

Top Bottom