Thinking about a weekend tour....where to start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2pies

Veteran
While I love riding to work, Sunday club rides and even sportives, they are all pretty much the same - short rides in familiar surroundings. What I'd like to do is a whole weekend of riding somewhere different. So how would I go about this, where should I start?

I would prefer to go with someone or in an organised group, to help with route planning and some company.

Googling "cycling breaks" doesn't come up with what I'm looking for, just wildly expensive holidays that cater for people who want to ride a bike for a hour or so and stay in nice hotels. I want to ride all day, soak up the scenery, eat in nice little village restaurants and just have somewhere basic to sleep. I do have a tent and could probably pick up some cheap panniers and other kit off eBay. That said, I'd probably prefer a really basic B&B or guest-house/hostel. Shared rooms would be fine.

Any suggestions? I'm perfectly fit and could cycle up to a 100 miles a day at a relaxed touring speed. What is that, about 14-16mph? I have a fairly aggressive (geometry) road bike and a more relaxed cyclocross bike, so I could use whichever is most suited to the type of tour I choose.

Any thoughts on where to look or advertise for company?

suffolkcindy

Ctc (cycle touring club) forum or yacf or this forum or your local ctc or cycle club? Get a list of contacts and put round a circular? Or go on a saddle skeddadle self guided weekend which are organised but not overly expensive...
Im off on a mini tour this weekend on my own coz it is difficult to find like minded cyclists. Touring solo is fun too :smile: but good luck anyway

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Just go out and do it! Pick an area you want to explore, put your bike on the train and go! Sorry, that sounds patronizing - it's not my intention. What I mean is, you shouldn't make things complicated. You say you're prepared to stay in a B&B - well, that means you don't have to worry about a tent, sleeping bag, matress, cooking stuff ... all you really need is some waterproofs, your wallet and a few tools. You can perhaps phone the B&B in advance and plan a basic route in the area, taking in some of the nice things around that B&B. One of the great things about cycling is the freedom it gives you; don't take that away by excessive planning. As for cycling in a group, yeah it's not always easy to find people to cycle with; but don't let that bother you: cycling alone is great too.

Crankarm

Guru
The best place to start is at the beginning.

If you are comfortable with your own company then just go, anywhere. OS LAndranger maps 1:50,000 are perfect inside a map cover to stop you from becoming lost.

If you must have company then um, you are stuck. You must be able to ride with some one from your bike club? I would just go. You are bound to meet others along your way.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Tell people that you're going. One of them may well say 'Oh, I'd like to do that' and take it from there.
Or just go and do it. A weekend tour on your own can be fun. I've done it a few times now - Flanders and Champagne and I did one in the Alps in the late Cretaceous, before CC existed. It needs a certain level of self-sufficiency, but there's no-one to get on your case if you decide to have pancakes for lunch...

pkeenan

Über Member
There are so many benefits to a solo tour. I found, when I was joined by a friend (who I cycled with a lot) halfway through a tour, that simple things like where to stop, navigation, food all became things that had to be discussed, whereas before he joined me I'd just been doing these things without thinking much about it. It was noticable just how much it slowed daily progress down, and aggrevated each other. 2 days in, we were riding like a proper team - which was an amazing feeling.

JC4LAB

I like mixing up the different options you have one weekend to the next..If its company you seek maybe give GOSKYRIDE.a chance.SkyrideLooks like a really easy biking for softies option but the " Ride well" and"Ride strong" options be can be pretty tough.cos of the faster pace.and very difficult in certain terrains.(eg Pennines).
Also If you are charity minded maybe have a look at BIKE EVENTS.com(of Bath)..They organise Manchester to Blackpool .London to Oxford type of thing..50 or100 mile options on many of their events.and theres something on most weeks.until Autumn.Give a donation if you dont want to raise sponsorship.British heart Foundation do similar..and have a cycling events website of their cycling events.The big one for them is the London to Brighton

Top Bottom