Thinking about Brompton.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill

While out ,..Fast Walking.. around the local hills recently I was pondering about Brompton Cycles and their cost. So yesterday i looked for the first time at the Brompton web site. I like the ...build your own bike...feature so did so! But when i pressed the final button for the finished job I had a awful shock!...the cycle for me would cost ..eleven hundred and eighty pounds...Doing the pondering i wonder at the true cost of making the cycle? Has there been a foreign take-over of the company? (Up go the prices!) A simple cycle like the Brompton should not cost that much so why such a high price..This is a honest query and i know there is rabid support from this makes owners on this forum but i would be interested in knowing about the cost matter....

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I think the cost is due to many factors. The first is that they are made here, in the UK, and therefore the labour costs are higher, the second is that it is a relatively small production and economies of scale don't factor in compared to Tiawaneese made bikes and thirdly they are desirable and the company, quite understandably, raises the cost until supply and demand are approx. equal

At least that is what I imagine are some of the reasons.

A simple cycle like the Brompton should not cost that much
Brompton is not simple. It is unique, so shares little in common with industry standard parts. It has 3 hinge points, so the amount of cutting, shaping and brazing per frame is high.
Most Brommies are used hard, every day, and if you do the sums, over a 5 year period, they probably save their owners quite a bit compared to the alternative means of transport.

Last edited:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The last time I saw anything regarding profits at Brompton they were at about 10% against sales, that's about twice as much as average for UK manufacturing so they're doing OK now (wasn't always the case). At £1180 they're making £118 on your bike were you to buy it, if you think that cost price of £1062 is still too much then you're probably better off buying something else. They're probably not spending all the profit on fancy stuff for themselves, some of it might be reinvested in the company.

Lonestar

Veteran
I've had one for a year+ but hardly use it.I've done about twenty miles as the other bikes cover quite adequately.So it's stored in my cupboard.Orignially bought it to take on holiday but changed my mind as the plane thingy looked like too much hassle.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
As others have said, they use very few standard parts, and are hand-made in Britain. They are not expensive for what they are.

The cost is less than a Zone 4 travelcard for one year. After that, you're quids in. Plus you can take them on tubes, trains and planes without hassle. I love having my own bike with me when I travel.

ny-062.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Brompton ..... because they're worth it .....

If you have the need.
Yesterday I commuted into London with mine, cycled from Abingdon to Didcot, hopped on a train to Paddington and then commuted across London to The Barbican and then home. There were possibly 8 to 10 Brommies on the same train as me, most of them more regularly used I don't doubt.
I fly with mine on business - it packs into a hardshell case and I check it in. No hassles.
I go to the shops on it, no locking faff either carry it in or put it in the trolley and push it round.
I've ridden 78 miles from Abingdon to South London without any issues on it.
I've been cycle touring on it with full camping kit, cooker etc
The Dynamo lights are good enough for an Oxford to London Night ride.
Anybody can ride it.
It fits easily in the car
It fits easily under the stairs at home.
It's an absolute hoot to ride, especially in cities.
I have a choice of another 7 nice bikes to ride in the garage (the Brompton is NOT the most expensive by a stretch) but if the garage was on fire I'd rescue the Brompton first.

One bike to rule them all? It's about as good as it gets.

IMG_2093.JPG

Lonestar

Veteran
Yup,not unhappy now I've got a Brompton.:okay:
Very versatile.Was thinking of using it in the snow for using alternative transport (buses and stuff) and for cycling back when things are clearer instead of walking half the way like I did when we had snow back in 2009.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I'm sitting on a train now with mine now, on my usual daily commute. I'll get off at Clapham cycle to Hammersmith and later down to Waterloo. Yesterday I had a meeting in Oxford Circus so from Hammersmith to there along Oxford Street was easy. I rarely use the other bikes now. I enjoy the Brompton so much.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If I have to quibble in my head about the cost of a bike, I dont buy it. That does not mean I want to pay the LBS the full price. My last bike was reduced from £1800 to £1400 and that was great by me and I love the bike.

Bromptons are something totally different. I dont have one but I would like one. But on the other hand I dont know what I would use it for. But it is iconic and that must add a bit to the price.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think they are pretty good vfm for the engineering involved, and if used by their target demographic, rail commuting types who want to do the urban "last mile" from mainline termini to workplace on two wheels rather than on the metro/tram/bus/&c., they usual save their purchase cost in the first year.

I have one because I can have one. (No UK bike shed worthy of the name is complete without a B imo - they are that iconic)

Top Bottom