Thinking about Brompton.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I get free travel on the tube but choose to go by Brompton, I wonder why?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Yebbut you've not denied it ;)

------------------------------------------

Bromptons only look expensive if you have a consideration at the back of your mind that they are still not a proper bike.

I doubt many people on here would look at £1100 for a roadie and think gosh that is a lot, but apart from going very fast, a Brompton has more strings to its bow and is a bike you could live with and do different things on every day far more easily.

Even in the pantheon of quality folders, Brompton lives in the upper middle section rather than being properly costly.

All told over its working life it could end up costing you way less than £100 a year irrespective of whether or not it saves you on public transport fares / tanks of fuel.

OP
OP
Bill

Bill

Thanks for all of the replies. I was not on a 'soap box' when entering this question. I own a Dahon Vitesse eight speed. It also has the bracket on the head tube for my old style Brompton Touring Bag and a SP extension carrier for another bag. I purchased it as I am profoundly deaf and did not want hassle off railway staff when day touring by train...no booking needed.

chris folder

Hi I use dahon and bromptom bikes if I need a rack I use dahon I was thinking about adding a rack to my bromptom but cant belive the mudguard needs changing to fit it. I will just use my dahon

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd always suggest a front bag on a Brompton rather than a rack. I'd remove the rack on my M6R if the process wouldn't turn into a swearfest, as these things inevitably do for me!

What the Doctor said, front brompton luggage is great. I have rack and would still recommend, adds to folded stability and have used the rack bags in the past - less often now as if we need capacity we go out on the cargo bike. Mr SHK's bike started life as a M6L but went M6R soon after.

12boy

Guru
Bromptons are spendy for sure, but I find it very reliable and fairly cheap to keep running, and good for so many things. Carries a lot, goes at a decent pace, keeps me clean with the fenders, and is comfortable in street clothes due to the upright position. I find myself actually riding when weather, changing into bike stuff, dealing with locking up my other bikes etc would result in finding riding too much trouble. I expect to leave it to my kids which I think unlikely for the rest of my fleet.

Top Bottom