Thinking about getting a tourer...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joanna

I've been thinking for a while about getting a tourer. I've got a Spec. Sirrus currently, which I love, but am hankering after a new bike. A don't really want to go full out roadbike, as would love that opportunity to attach panniers and go over to Europe for a spot of touring. I've recently done a small trip to the Isle of Wight on my Sirrus, and that coped well with extra stuff laden on it, but as I said - really would love a new bike!!!
My LBS is thinking about getting in Kinesis bikes - and I've been recommended the tripster. This doesn't seem to have many favourable reviews, (on my v.quick look on the net), and has a hefty price tag. I would be able to get it on my CTW scheme though.

I love the look of the Revolution bikes (http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/browse/bicycles/touring-bikes). Wouldn't know whether to get the Traveller or Explorer - not that great with specs.

The Dawes is another obvious one to go for.

Quite confused really.

Which would you go for? Has anyone got one they'd recommend?

Sorry for another which bike thread. But thanks for any replies :smile:

puch

Regular
I'm looking for a bike, too.

AFAIK, the best bang for my buck would be the Revolution Country series (as you mention.)

The Traveller has a good bikeradar review;
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-revolution-country-traveller-31956

The Explorer has no reviews I can find, and it has the mediocre rated Avid BB5 disc brakes (EdinburghBikes have a BB7 upgrade option). It does have a steel frame though, which in trad touring is preferred.

I like the Traveller because, it doesn't have disc brakes (Keep it Simple) I'm not fussy about an aluminium frame and, I emailed Edinburgh Bicycles and they informed me, (immediately and in a friendly manner), the original Tektro 992AG brakes can be replaced with better Tektro CR-520 units (free of labour charge).

So, the RC Traveller looks very good.

Another bike in the running is the Dawes Karakum at roughly the same price as the RC's;
The KaraKum also has a good bikeradar review:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-dawes-cycles-karakum-07-21270

I imagine you wouldn't go wrong with either of these.

Have a look at the Claud Butler range. I've got a 2008 Dalesman, which is basically a Dawes Super Galaxy with a different logo on it (at 2008 spec), and was around £400 cheaper at the time IIRC. Mine has Reynolds 853 frame, Mavic Rims, Shimano Hubs, Tektro Oryx canti's (damn, can't have everything eh ?), Shimano 105 shifters and XT/Deore transmission, with FSA cranks..... it was £850 at the time. The Dawes was over £1200. It was a no brainer. It's done LEJOG, Jersey, and just last week, a week around Norfolk. Worth a punt. Might even get one off Fleabay to see how you like it?
Also, my GF got herself a Dawes Karakum girly model last year 2nd hand, and it's the same high-end spec.... it was £310 on ebay. Newer models have a lower spec.
One complaint I have heard about the Karakum, is that it has quite a low gearing ratio. My ex also had one, and has had trouble keeping up with her local CTC rides, and I have seen a review on the web claiming the same. Not sure why that should be as the transmission is the same as lot of other compact/triples ?/

rich p

ridiculous old lush
How tall are you Joanna? My wife got the smallest Revolution a few years back and it was always too big for her although she is only 5'!

I want a touring bike really badly. My first proper shop bought bike was a tourer. 30 years later Ive come full circle.

Ridgebacks look nice for the money ....

doog

Whatever you all decide on the obvious pointers are that it has lugs for panniers front and back, suitable gearing so you arent walking up those Cols and a quality rear wheel, 36 spoke and hand made if you can. You don't want to be popping spokes in far flung places.

OP
OP
J

joanna

How tall are you Joanna? My wife got the smallest Revolution a few years back and it was always too big for her although she is only 5'!

Hi, I'm 5'7, so thinking the smallest Revolution might be a little small. Thanks for the reply rich.p. Did your wife like it, other than the size? The downside of these bikes is that you can't buy them in the South :sad:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Hi, I'm 5'7, so thinking the smallest Revolution might be a little small. Thanks for the reply rich.p. Did your wife like it, other than the size? The downside of these bikes is that you can't buy them in the South :sad:
Yes she did but a little on the heavy side compared with the one she changed to. In fairness, that would have been smaller and lighter therefore:blush:
It did get her from Brighton to Bologna though without any problems.
The Ridgebacks seem to get decent reviews too and Baker Street Bikes do Ridgebacks AFAIK. Whether they stock tourers I'm not sure though.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've got a Hewitt Cheviot, and they fitted lower gears so I can get up the hills. Very happy with it - although it probably helped that I lived near enough for Hewitt to measure me up and get the right fit. Probably not the cheapest option, though.
standalone

5'6" female, and it wasn't the smallest frame he sold me.

P.H

Über Member
I've got a Hewitt Cheviot, and they fitted lower gears so I can get up the hills. Very happy with it - although it probably helped that I lived near enough for Hewitt to measure me up and get the right fit. Probably not the cheapest option, though.

+1 for Hewitt, agree it's not the cheapest option, but he makes a lot of effort to see you get just what you need and unlike some other bespoke suppliers doesn’t try to sell you anything you don't need. I bought mine nearly ten years ago, have never regretted the extra money or the cost of a trip to see him. During that time many of the people I've ridden with have changed bikes two or three times, in comparison, mine was the cheaper option.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
+1 for Hewitt, agree it's not the cheapest option, but he makes a lot of effort to see you get just what you need and unlike some other bespoke suppliers doesn’t try to sell you anything you don't need. I bought mine nearly ten years ago, have never regretted the extra money or the cost of a trip to see him. During that time many of the people I've ridden with have changed bikes two or three times, in comparison, mine was the cheaper option.

Lancashire is a long way from Brighton, though!

BSRU

A Human Being
I have a Ridgeback Panorama which I bought through the C2W scheme, very nice steel bike, no fear of any hills and I use it as my main commuting bike.
One thing to watch out for is that it has standard(old style) drops and not compact(modern) drops, meaning the reach to the hoods is longer, for the same length top tube, and they have a narrower diameter.

Top Bottom