Thinking about getting a trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aph

So I'm thinking about getting a trike, having not been on a bike for years and wanting a bike mainly for shopping (and getting too and from uni) I don't fancy carrying shopping on handle bars and I imagine it would be cheaper and safer than getting a trailer which would also be more cumbersome. Being a 'poor student' I don't want to spend more than £500, and even that is rather pushing it TBH.

I had been looking at Jorvik until I found this site!!! So I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for places to look and models which would suit my needs. I live in York if that helps.

boydj

Legendary Member
Why not a normal bike with a rack that will take panniers? e.g. https://www.evanscycles.com/dawes-mirage-2017-hybrid-bike-EV301809

montroseloon

what about a small trailer? If you were heading to the supermarket you could hitch it on and leave it off for the normal commute and use a backpack for the wee odds and sods you always remember you need

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Or you could get a trike. Good ones tend to be expensive, and there are not many about.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've had a Kentex trike for a few years and it has been excellent, admittedly I have modified mine but not through any 'faults' with the basic machine.
1.076123KentexClassicTrike.jpg

This is the standard trike as purchased by me for physiotherapy after breaking my Femur but I altered a few things and fitted an electrically powered front wheel kit to end up with this,

trike 001.JPG

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Depends how much storage space you have. But other than the quirkiness of a trike I can't really see the benefits over a trailer.

Trailer is much more versatile, you can fit more things in it and fold it up flat when you're not using it.
Trailers are cheap, you can buy a really good bike for £400 plus a £100 trailer.
Trailers have a lower centre of gravity and higher sides if you are pelting along.

And perhaps most importantly if you want a bike to zip through traffic to get to uni you can. You can park it more easily (bike + trailer will fit onto most bike stands) and if you only want a bottle of wine from the shops you can nip down much more easily.

I used to really want a trike but now I have a trailer I would definitely not get one unless I needed it for physio reasons as per @raleighnut

simongt

Guru
Depending on your type of shop, panniers take a lot of beating for shopping. :thumbsup: Sometimes I can hardly get the bike up the kerb - ! :eek: But if you habitually but a lot of heavy things, then may be an issue.

Top Bottom