Thinking about knifemaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Forged in fire, what a show!

The Japanese fella seems a bit too keen when he states ' Your blade will kill'.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Japanese know a thing or two about blades. Way back when their blades made Damascus steel seem like plasticine, and even now science struggles to match it for sharpness and durability.

Watching this thread with interest. I love diy projects of this sort where the journey is as educational as the finished item is awesome.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
That looks good. As with anything, start off small, as you have done, and if you start to really enjoy it then you can buy more stuff as you go. And make more space if you can. You'd be surprised at how much space you can make if you try. My garage was packed a few weeks ago, but after some new shelving, tool boards, and a lot of chipboard attached to garage walls, I've made loads more space and everything is hung on the walls so can be reached easily without rummaging through boxes

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
20201201_173614.jpg

Doesn't look different to how it was before, but it's now been heat treated, tempered and it has an edge. Heat treating was a sod with a blowtorch, not entirely happy with the hardening I achieved.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Your blade looks fine, but - you are right - the wrap lets it down. Leather may be slippery too, when wet. I’d go for para cord, or whipping twine. Learn to whip the cord for a neat finish. The go-to place for whipping pointers is Ashley’s Knot Book, but I’m sure YouTube will help. What kind of edge does it hold? I make greenwood stuff as part of a living, and would hope to get an hour of carving between stropping. Bevel both sides? Cool. Torch is painful for HT. Rig up a diy propane forge

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

It's a single bevel, Japanese style knife - good for slicing along edges. Certainly cut the leather no problem. The edge is good for about half the length from the tip but it's a bit soft after that. I'm thinking maybe a wee forge in the New Year :hyper:

View attachment 561933

Finished in pink paracord cos it's a present for my wife. No more on this one, next project will be after Christmas
Very good build, particularly since it's your first blade after a 30 year hiatus.

There's a guy on the Youtubes called Freerk Wieringa who makes bladesmithing look incredibly easy - it's rather cathartic to watch a master craftsman quietly doing his thing.

I'd love to get into metalworking but I'm very awkward, plus, no space. Maybe one day...

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

His stuff looks interesting :okay: I follow Torbjörn Åhman for the high quality stuff (no voicover which is sometimes a plus), Alec Steele because he does some amazing work but takes his time to show the work put in - often 10 or more episodes on one piece. He's also not afraid to show his screw-ups which I find almost more informative than doing it right. Also Outdoors55 because he does stuff with the most basic of tools.

However - there are a lot of people making youtube videos who talk too much or think the audience is interested in them. It's a bit like looking for videos of foreign places you're planning to visit. For every interesting youtube video, there's ten with some plonker wandering around with a selfie stick pointing at themselves going yadda yadda yadda

Top Bottom