Thinking about new wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

footloose crow

Über Member
Probably a stupid question....but anyway. Had my Cube Attain for six months. Worn out rear wheel bearings after 750 miles and front ones noisy too now. AlexRims are the wheel set Cube supply but model not indicated. LBS think that my problem is a predilection for cycling on broken back lanes/mud and I need a gravel bike. I wonder if new wheels would help and was looking at Hunt x /Mason 4 season discs - that I will then set up as tubeless, Hunt recommend Schwalbe Pro One for that wheel set. 28mm is the max if I have mudguards and I do. Currently running Conti 4 season Pro. Is that enough information to get some advice? Some mixed reactions to Hunt wheels on forums. Or just buy a new bike.......

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
New bike. Then a set of Mavics. Sorted.

13 rider

Guru
Riding on those Cornish lanes in the winter will takes its toll on your bike . The good thing about disc drakes is your not destroying your rims braking on the descents . I can't believe I saying this but you don't need a gravel bike although 1 would be nice . A descent set of say gravel specific wheels will make your current bike perfectly suited for the lanes . I have dt Swiss rims on my commuter and they seem pretty bomb proof

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
You're running cheap AlexRims wheels. That'll kill most wheelsets.

DT Swiss are OK, Mavic's are decent except for the awful Aksium's.

My suggestion from experience are Superstar Components wheels. Well-built and decent value.

Gunk

Guru
I'm agreeing with @SkipdiverJohn, wouldn't just servicing the bearings fix the problem?

It’s a really easy and rewarding job, makes such a difference to the ride quality.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
footloose crow

footloose crow

Über Member
It’s a really easy and rewarding job, makes such a difference to the ride quality.
Ok that's an option. I am stuck at home convalescing from operation and getting bored....so thinking about upgrading wheels was a diversion for me. Now I can look at how to change wheel bearings. My mechanical skills are basic however.

Top Bottom