Thinking about upgrading to a carbon bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That's true, it does show that Specialized have a lot of faith in their frames. I'm also slightly put off by the fact that Canyon deal direct with customers. I know that probably makes them cheaper but for a newbie like me, I would really rather buy from my LBS so there's someone to hold my hand both pre-sale and post-sale.

A lot of the bigger names do this, Cannondale offer the same lifetime warranty. They also offer an upgrade scheme (you give them your old frame and they provide your new choice of frame at a discounted rate) and a crash replacement scheme (reduced price replacement frames and forks if you crash and damage your bike).

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Agent Hilda of the FNR's Spesh frame cracked. Spesh changed for a brand new frame without question.
not only did they do that, they replaced all the parts that wouldn't fit the new frame for free. And paid for the labour.

Typhon - it may pay to hunt around the sales a bit, but if I were you I'd not be in too much of a rush. Why not wait until you've settled in to being the new lightweight Typhon and see how you feel at the end of the summer? You could also spend time hanging around other cyclists and looking at their bikes.

FWIW I think the choice of wheels is as key as the choice of frame, and here you really might want to work out what your optimum weight is. You don't say how heavy you are now, but get below 90kg and you can start looking at some really nice gear.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
A lot of the bigger names do this, Cannondale offer the same lifetime warranty. They also offer an upgrade scheme (you give them your old frame and they provide your new choice of frame at a discounted rate) and a crash replacement scheme (reduced price replacement frames and forks if you crash and damage your bike).
the proof of the guarantee is in the service. You can wipe your backside with some of them.

Rando

Veteran
Nice! It's last years model but still £800 is a big saving and if I'm honest I'd rather be nearer the 2k mark than the 3k as it seems a bit excessive for someone with my lack of knowledge!
If you look in the Canyon Outlet shop you can still get some Ultimate AL 9.0 Di2 at a reduced price and depending on your size required.
http://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/article.html?o=A1028668
or
http://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/article.html?o=A1027884

Wheelset is probably not as good on last years model but still decent.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think that the Canyon deal is probably not the kind of thing you need to look at for a long term purchase. The wheels are just not good enough. Mind you, the off-the-peg wheels that go with the Roubaix might not be all that.

And Pedrosanchezo makes a good point. Trying before you buy is essential, and good advice is worth having (but, then again, he lives near to Perth City Cycles, which is a top-notch outfit)

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
...........but if I were you I'd not be in too much of a rush. Why not wait until you've settled in to being the new lightweight Typhon and see how you feel at the end of the summer? You could also spend time hanging around other cyclists and looking at their bikes.

FWIW I think the choice of wheels is as key as the choice of frame, and here you really might want to work out what your optimum weight is. You don't say how heavy you are now, but get below 90kg and you can start looking at some really nice gear.

I think this is good advice; keep the existing bike for another 6 months and maybe then upgrade the wheels.
If you still want more improvement, you're then in a better position to know what you want from a new bike (and you'll have a spare set of wheels).
If I were after a new, off the shelf bike, the Roubaix disc would be the first one I would look at.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Length of timing cycling is nothing, if you are enjoying it go for it. I started on £300 hybrid, 2000 miles later I bought a Roubaix comp which was a bit scary. That bike has just clicked over 11k miles. Well and truly worth it, it was a gamble that it might be a 5 minute wonder but I am sure the better bike made it easier to get out more.. There was always eBay if it was a 5 min wonder.

Now my wheelsets cost more than the cost of my first bike, strange how your limits shift, £300 for the first bike seemed a huge investment!

Quite a few newish Roubaixs come up on eBay.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
the proof of the guarantee is in the service. You can wipe your backside with some of them.

And with Specialized (a few various instances), Bianchi (2x frame replacements, 1 asked for a different colour on the new frame, they obliged) and Cannondale (1x frame replacement and not only replaced but upgraded to Hi-Mod version free of charge) the service seems to be great. I have had good aftersales from Cannondale even though this was not a warrantly issue.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
that's good to know.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Never had any of this warranty stuff going custom built. In 22 years my frame didn't break ever, neither did the paint fall off.

Kudos Frank Herety and all UK frame builders, and C&G Finishers of Liverpool, and all other frame enamellers. :laugh:

Oh and neither did my Ribble 653 (Terry Dolan edition) fall to bits.

Sorry.... :whistle:

PS you need a decent frame warranty these days. :whistle:

Andy_G

I was in the same boat as you, i bought my mates old Saracen for £60 and in 6 months done over 1100 miles on it so i went out and bought the Trek Domane 4.5 for £2100 and i love it, its more of an endurance bike than a speedster but after a 30 miler i feel so much more comfortable and ache less.
Its Ultegra with 105 brakes which ive heard are just as good as Ultegra ones, and with dodgy roads around my area it absorbes bumps well.
Take a look.

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/road/race_performance/domane_4_series/domane_4_5_compact/#

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB8jJH-mumY

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP6hgLc6Flg

redcard

Veteran
And with Specialized (a few various instances), Bianchi (2x frame replacements, 1 asked for a different colour on the new frame, they obliged) and Cannondale (1x frame replacement and not only replaced but upgraded to Hi-Mod version free of charge) the service seems to be great. I have had good aftersales from Cannondale even though this was not a warrantly issue.

Its great all these companies giving out free stuff. Such wonderful chaps!

Top Bottom