Thinking about upgrading to a carbon bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Hybrid? Got the Specialized Sirrus Ltd,great bike for crashing down the muddy towpaths.

I did have a look at those in the shop today actually. Very nice indeed. Could be a welcome addition to the stable after I've got my new road bike!

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Worth pointing out Focus and Canyon do not offer lifetime guarentee while specialized do.
It's also with considering the second hand value and desirability of the bikes in case you ever want to upgrade.

Mr Haematocrit

Have a look in you local specialized concept store you can pick up 2012 SL4 Tarmac Pro's for 3k with Di2 and you have a dedicated retailer with extensive manufacture support if you want it

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Worth pointing out Focus and Canyon do not offer lifetime guarentee while specialized do.
It's also with considering the second hand value and desirability of the bikes in case you ever want to upgrade.

That's true, it does show that Specialized have a lot of faith in their frames. I'm also slightly put off by the fact that Canyon deal direct with customers. I know that probably makes them cheaper but for a newbie like me, I would really rather buy from my LBS so there's someone to hold my hand both pre-sale and post-sale.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Have a look in you local specialized concept store you can pick up 2012 SL4 Tarmac Pro's for 3k with Di2 and you have a dedicated retailer with extensive manufacture support if you want it

Unfortunately my nearest one is about 50 miles away so it makes it a bit difficult if I need to take it back for anything. It does seem like a big discount though, basically 1k off just for getting last years model.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Guy at my LBS didn't think that the extra 1k was really worth it for the di2 though, he said that he'd tried both, owns a Roubaix and previously owned a tarmac and doesn't feel like the electronic shifters are that great.

It worries me a bit that that's another thing to go wrong too, something that could be expensive! Perhaps I am just better off with the standard SL4,

Mr Haematocrit

I would really rather buy from my LBS so there's someone to hold my hand both pre-sale and post-sale.

I understand that and to be honest it was one of the things which made me choose specialized myself. The concept stores are extensively supported by the manufacturer and the staff are trained and focused on that brand and product, they know the bikes inside out, they know what's coming next and I get a lot of comfort from this.
What keeps me going back is the quality of service I receive from specialized and the shops, they value my custom and try to earn it with every interaction. If I have to pay a little bit more for that, I'm really OK with it.

Deal direct bikes are cheaper, because they do not have the overheads of dedicated retailers to support, and if things go wrong. who pays for the shipping back to the dealer, what do you ride during this time? - If things go wrong is it possible to take the company to court in the UK or do you have to go to court in Germany..... Deal direct bikes are bargains when things go well, but what if they don't?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's true, it does show that Specialized have a lot of faith in their frames. I'm also slightly put off by the fact that Canyon deal direct with customers. I know that probably makes them cheaper but for a newbie like me, I would really rather buy from my LBS so there's someone to hold my hand both pre-sale and post-sale.

Agent Hilda of the FNR's Spesh frame cracked. Spesh changed for a brand new frame without question.

Typhon,

Life only gets better now that you have seen the light. Cyclists are just better people! :whistle:

Worth noting that best value for money is going to come from the likes of Canyon, rose, Ribble, Planet X etc but if you can't get a proper fitting session then it's a bit of a gamble, especially if you are new a little unsure.

You seem to be leaning towards LBS route so, although you might pay a bit more, at least you have the opportunity to gets some hands on with the bike and, more importantly, get fitted.

Best of luck and keep us posted with your decision. Oh and photos too. :thumbsup:

Mr Haematocrit

Guy at my LBS didn't think that the extra 1k was really worth it for the di2 though, he said that he'd tried both, owns a Roubaix and previously owned a tarmac and doesn't feel like the electronic shifters are that great.,

Di2 is OK I run it on everything, its good kit but its not going to change the world I would look at lighter wheels and better frame before Di2 to be honest

Biker Joe

Über Member
Yeah I know that aluminium and titanium are good frame materials too. I would have thought Steel would be a lot heavier than carbon though?

Just out of interest, a friend of mine has a steel framed road bike that weighs in at 10kg all in. He reckons it is a very comfortable ride as the steel frame is not as rigid as other materials.

ziggys101

Über Member
Just having a look at Canyon and Focus now as redcard suggested. For £2800 from Canyon you can get an ultegra di2 weighing just 7.0kg. I don't know what the Specialized weighs as they don't say but I remember reading a review in Cycling plus of last years model and it was 8.7kg IIRC. That's a big difference:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3090

This is where I get lost though. All I can really go on is the groupset and the frame. I don't know enough about wheels and other things to really compare the bikes.

I went down this route in Sept and bought the Canyon Aeroad CF Di2, I can honestly say it was the best thing I've done regarding bikes it is a fantastic bike and great value for money.

Top Bottom